Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Night feeds???? Lock Rss

Hi Mums,
My son is 5 months old and has his last feed at 11pm but is still waking for a feed through the night. I was wondering at what age do babies start sleeping through and stop needing this feed??? I don't mind feeding him but some people have been telling me that I shouldn't be feeding him and to just try and settle him back to sleep...Any ideas??

Mum to 3 gorgeous boys...

Hi James's mum

My daughter is almost 8 months and has only been fully sleeping through for about a month without waking at all, but I haven't feed her during the night for about 2 months now but she has been on 3 solid meals since 6 mths. Is your son on solids yet? If he isn't I wouldn't try settling him back to sleep as he probably is hungry and he is only 5 months. I wouldn't be concerned until he reaches 6 months and then try settling him without a feed then. Have you a health clinic near you that you could call or I'm not sure where you are but maybe you can call Trescillian 02 97870855. Every baby is different aswell, so I don't think there is a set age. My sister in law has a baby 6 weeks older than my daughter and he still wakes during the night. Also there may be a difference between breastfed and formula fed babies. One mum in my group formula fed her baby from birth and he slept through from about 6-8 weeks. See what someone else says. All the best

Julie, mum to Abby 05/02/04 & Joel 12/04/07

Hi

I have a 8 month old that most nights will wake twice through the night.

He gobbles down his bottles like he hasn't been fed for days, but I continue to offer them if he wants them. He was born small at 5 1/2 pound so he may be still trying to catch up a bit.

He drinks about 600-800mls of formuls a day and he also eats three solid meals a day, and sometimes will even have a forth solid meal at morning tea or afternoon tea.

I have tried to resettle my baby without feeds, I have offered water instead of milk, but still demands the bottles during night.

I suppose it depends on the child.

If anyone has any ideas for me to cut out one or both of bubs night feeds, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Hope you have luck James's Mum

All the best

2 Under 1

Hi
Glad to read that other 8-month-old babies are still waking at night. I was always under the impression that once your baby was on solids and over 6 months the baby will sleep straight through the night only to find out this is not true well not in my case. As soon as my son turned 6 months when he woke up at night I didn’t feed him I did find it very hard but I persevered they get into a routine of been fed during the night and I guess they don’t know any different and it is hard to break the cycle.
All babies are different. My son still wakes up at night once or twice most times he has learnt to re settle himself back to sleep.
All the best
are you breast feeding or bottle feeding?
just wondering how much your boy drinks at the 11.00pm feed....

Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

My boy is nearly 6 months and curretly waking about 10 times a night sad i wish his teeth would come through soon

On a good night he may wake 2-3 times a night I am still BF so its no hassle really

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi Helena
I am breast feeding James which makes it hard to judge how much he is getting. Yet I do try to get him to feed a little longer in the hope that it might get him through to 6o'clock. Well that is the plan....

Thank-you everyone for your replies it is nice to have a place where we can post our little problems and get some great feedback.

Hi Jame's mum,
Thought I'd say hello, presuming you r who i think u are!!!
Just to put my two bobs worth in, which you probably already know, but my bub had a night feed until she was 8 1/2 mths. She refused to settle unless I gave it to her and she used to sleep until 8am so it didn't bother me. She stopped by herself, and slept through. Now she will sometimes sleep through or maybe wake up a bit, whatever happens.
If u have the patience, maybe soon u could try not feeding him a couple of times and see if he can go without. I suppose he will let you know.
Good luck. It all gets better.
yes! a very hard one to judge!...smile

Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Kelly

All babies are entirely different and have different needs ... you could try settling and also just giving water (in case it is thirst and not hunger) but at the end of the day if he is hungry he is hungry and you have to feed.

I am just grabbing at straws BUT I in a book I read it says feeding on demand during the day can help. Bubs have a certain mL requirement they need. For instance say your bub has a requirement of 600mL and they are getting this at the moment via 6 100mL feeds every 4 hours, you could try shortening the space between feeds during the day so they are getting that 600mL between say 7am and 7pm so they are feeding every 2 hours which is what my bub does. Having said that I don't know if it would work for everyone, but it does seem to work for me.

All the best
Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

hi james mum

what i thought was my lil bub waking cos he was hungry wasnt, he was getting cold during the night.

i found this out one night he woke @ bout 2am knowing that he shoulnt be hungry cos he fed @ midnight
i wrapped him in a cot sheet so he couldnt get out . that was @ 10 weeks he is nearly 5 mths now and only wakes up when he is really wheezy.
he does have is quota during the day though which helps.

nikki, 8yo girl, 2 1/2 y/o boy & preg with no.3

Sign in to follow this topic