Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Are bottle fed babies more windy than the worst windy breast fed baby? !

Are bottle fed babies more windy than the worst windy breast fed baby? ! Rss

OK, so I am really nearly over all this breast feeding - sigh sad
DS2 has the worst wind, we have been to see a lactation consultant and he is not latching correctly, we are trying to fix this, and have been working on it for 6 days now, and today he is so so so awful with his wind.
I have heard that bottle fed babies have worse wind, but could it be worse than the wind he has now?

All three of mine were bottle fed. None of them had really bad wind issues. They all suffered a bit of reflux but the wind was not too bad.

Why don't you try to express and give to him in a bottle and see how he goes. Worth a try if you want to continue with the breast feeding.

I hope that you get something sorted and your little man is more settled really soon.

I have never heard that! Sounds a bit like an old wives tale as I've seen way to many exceptions to that 'rule' tongue
me+hub+3 wrote:
All three of mine were bottle fed. None of them had really bad wind issues. They all suffered a bit of reflux but the wind was not too bad.

Why don't you try to express and give to him in a bottle and see how he goes. Worth a try if you want to continue with the breast feeding.

I hope that you get something sorted and your little man is more settled really soon.

that is such a good idea! try ebm from a bottle and see if wind is better smile

Let us know how you get on. I hope that things improve.

I found giving infacol before every feed really helped with wind. But she wasn't a super windy baby. Maybe bottle fed babies are supposed to be more windy if they gulp it down too fast or drink too much with a fast flow? But it sounds like a poor latch will mean they gulp even more air in each time sad I hope things improve soon xx
How did you go? I hope that things have improved.

Really? I mean, it does sound more like an old wives' tale to me. My daughter was also bottle-fed but didn't have any such problem.
LizHutch wrote:
Im sure you can also buy bottles which help reduce wind in babies. Good luck

Dr Browns bottles have a valve in them to prevent wind. On saying that I breast fed then mixed and now bottle feed and haven't noticed any difference in wind

O M G!! DS2 with a bottle was completely laughable! I million times worse than BF, he really does just not latch, and took in so so much air.
Oh well, makes me feel a bit better about BF, and he has improved since the awfulness of Sunday.
I guess we just push on smile

Oh Little Egg!
I feel for you, those first 6 weeks were the worst for my 2 as well, DS in particular would scream and scream for hours on end. I never bottle fed mine so I couldn't tell you if they had more wind than others.
Your little man will get the hang of it eventually. Remember that babies are not born knowing how to breastfeed - they have to learn it too and for some it takes a bit longer.
Is he a month old yet? If so then you could try giving him something like gripe water or similar. I used Infant's Friend for mine and it did seem to help settle them quicker and calm them down.

You are a trooper, hang in there and I'm sure things will get easier soon. smile
my ds was terrible for wind for about 6weeks esp at night. ride it out it will get better. i know how you feel running around after dd 20 months all day with zero sleep =)
Sign in to follow this topic