Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Feeding/Sleeping Lock Rss

My baby will be 4 weeks on Monday. He is feeding longer than an hour each time - how long should he feed for? He doesn't want to sleep unless it's on my husband or I and wakes and cries when we try and put him down.

Anyone with any suggestions?
congrats on your baby!! smile He should not need to feed for an hour, that is a very long time (I'd think more like 10-20 min). How is your milk supply - is there enough there? Like is he hungry and trying to get more? Otherwise (considering the other info about being unsettled) I'd be questioning reflux. Babies with reflux often want to suck to settle their tummy and keep the milk/acids down, which is why a dummy is often recommended. Because of the reflux they are also very unsettled and want to be kept upright (reduce the reflux from the the stomach), and need extra comfort. However, I'm no professional - so I'd suggest you see a child health nurse/doctor as there might be something you can do about it x
Thanks smile he stops and starts during feeding (maybe he's falling asleep during the feed?) and I get him sucking again. I don't think my milk supply is a problem as he's nearly put on 1kg since birth.

We can put him to bed at night- the day is the struggle.

I had hyperemisis throughout my whole pregnancy so wonder if he's feeding like this because of that.
An average length of a breastfeeding for a newborn is 20 to 40 minutes total, but some babies are faster than average and some are slower. Milk production and infant intake are also influenced by the fat content of your milk and the degree of breast emptying at any given feeding. Did you check with lactation consultant yet?
Thanks for that. smile
I'm going to see the lactation consultant tomorrow. His feeding time has cut down now to about 40 minutes but he is awake more often and wanting to feed.
Thanks for that. smile
I'm going to see the lactation consultant tomorrow. His feeding time has cut down now to about 40 minutes but he is awake more often and wanting to feed.
Sign in to follow this topic