Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. 3 things you should know about breastfeeding

3 things you should know about breastfeeding Lock Rss

Breastfeeding comes easily to some mothers, but not to others. Whether you bottle or breast feed, the most important thing is that you and your baby are healthy. If you are thinking about trying breastfeeding, here are a few things to consider:

1. Look after yourself

Keep taking prenatal vitamins, get enough calcium, and drink enough water while nursing.
You'll need an extra 300 to 500 calories daily. You'll also need to learn to relax, however you can - stress might affect letdown (the start of your milk flow). Take a warm shower, sink into a chair, and remember to breathe as you help your squirmy baby latch on. If you are on any medication, consult your doctor as some of it can enter your baby's system via your breast milk.

2. Breastfeeding can be difficult in the beginning

Many hospitals offer breastfeeding classes, which thankfully you can attend whilst pregnant. It can be difficult to get your baby to latch on at first. Ask for help at the hospital or consult a lactation consultant. However, don't ignore shooting pain; a knot in the breast accompanied by soreness and redness could be a plugged milk duct, which can lead to mastitis, a nasty infection that requires antibiotics.

3. You can mix it up!

Did you know that you can breastfeed and bottle feed. Introducing a bottle a day when your baby is still quite young can give you a much needed rest (particularly if your breasts are tender) or can simply be convenient (if you have to leave your baby with relatives for part of the day etc). If your little one doesn't take to cow's milk formula, you can always try goat's milk (which many young babies prefer as it's ever so slightly sweeter than cow's milk).

We'd love to hear about your experiences breastfeeding - the good and the bad. Let us know what worked or didn't work for you or what you enjoyed or didn't like so much about breastfeeding.
I breastfed my baby from day 1 till she turn 2months I started to mix it with formula when she was 6 weeks , she settle to S26 Gold, Its more convenient and it gives me time to rest Breastfeeding is very demanding its hard to know how much my baby is consuming , But when i started mixing it and expressing my milk and introduced her to bottle feed , It seems she become independent don't cry much, and she sleeps better ..
Sign in to follow this topic