Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Calling all mums still breast feeding at 10 + months

Calling all mums still breast feeding at 10 + months Lock Rss

Hi all,

I am looking for all mums out there that are still breastfeeding their 10+ months old bubbas.

My DD is turning 10 months next weeks and have NO idea how to wean. My older son self weaned at 9 mth so I have no idea what I am doing!!

I am looking to wean her by 12 months down to 1 feed a day (at night). I dont want to put her on to formula and I am happy to keep giving that to her as long as she wants. At the moment she is still having 4 feeds a day. She feeds at 7:30, 11:30, 3:30 and 6:30. However today I tried feeding her 3 times and she was fine, she fed at 7:30. 12:30 and 6.

I am after as much advice as possible

* How many feeds should be having at this age
* Which feed should I drop and when
* What time do you do solids when they are feeding 3 x a day.

Sorry, I feel really stupid. Just wanna get some input

Thanks for listening!

Jacquie, Mummy to Bailey, Tijana & Kaitlyn

Hey Jacka, don't feel stupid..It's a great question and I am in exactly the same boat, so if you don't mind I will be keeping a close eye on your thread and hopefully putting all that great advice into practice. Thanks for your post smile

Nat VIC, Zac born 16/06/05, Aviel born 20/03/09

Hi

I think either 3 or 4 milk feeds a day at 10 months is fine. My DD2 is 9 1/2 mths and is having 4 or 5 milk feeds a day plus 3 solid meals and 1-2 snacks. I was unsure if she was having too much milk so asked around. From chatting to friends and other mums at childcare, it seems most babies this age are down to 3 or 4 milk feeds a day, which seem to be on average 1 on waking, 1 mid morning or lunch and 1 late afternoon and another feed either before bed or a later dream feed.

I am gradually weaning her from the breast and am just replacing one feed at a time with a bottle. At the moment she has two breast feeds (am and pm) and 2-3 bottles (sometimes she has a rollover bottle). I know you don't want to give her formula, but she will still need lots of milk. If you are happy to keep Breastfeeding until 12 months, you can replace her breast feeds with cows milk (or soy if she is allergic). But if you wean her before, I'm pretty sure that the experts say that is too early for cows milk so you would have to give her formula to replace the breast milk. If she won't take a bottle, you could give her milk from a sipper cup.

Hope this helps!

Michelle,SA,DD1 4 yo, DD2 9/8/05

Hi Jacka I still breastfeed my daughter and she is 11 months old and she has just started to take the bottle with full cow milk and Jaye normally wakes up at 6.00 in the morning and have a feed at 9.30, 1.30, 4.30 and the last one at 7.30. For the solids she will have one at 7.30 when I have breakfast than at lunch 12.00 and than has dinner at 6.30.

I was trying to wean Jaye off at 12 months but that hasnt work so far and I hoping that she will wean herself off instead and it isnt stupid to ask other mums which they do and especailly when you need help and I hope it works out for you and good luck.

Chat soon.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sorry Jacka I forgot to answer the other part of your post.

As soon as Logan was on three meals a day which was prety early, he basically went to breakfast, lunch and dinner around about the times we would eat - I'd feed him and then get my food. He very shortly after that went onto 3meals plus 2 snacks. So he now has his three meals and a little snack after his morning and afternoon sleep and I have water available to him pretty much all day.

When he first started to eat so much we just followed the feed play sleep thing so he would have milk right after each wake up, and then meals at meal times. Does that answer you?

Logan 03/05/05 Lily 06/11/06

I'm sure she'll let you know if she still wants both, LOL!!!

Wow - I was doing almost the same routine as you up until 9 months. Actually, its really nice to read that as I remember it being a really hard time. I didn't feel like there was enough detail in the advice I was given to start weaning DD. It just felt like such a big step, although it wasn't for DD in the end - lol.

If you are keen to wean down to 1 feed by 12 months, then from now is a good time to start. I would pick one particular feed, for example, the 3.30pm and simply don't offer any boozie. Offer bubs a snack and sippy cup or bottle (water, juice - what ever you want) instead.

Initially I tried not to do any-thing at that feed time that would make DD think it was boobie time, such as sitting her in her high chair and feeding her some custard. To be honest, she didn't seem to care. She was just as happy getting her snack and then playing.

I let that new routine settle in over a week (or so) then picked another feed to drop. Once again, I offered DD a snack instead.

I'm not sure if you give your bub a BF before day naps, I did. I left weaning those feeds to last. DD was about 11 months then, so I offered her a small drink of warm cows milk instead of boozie. It worked really well, although did take DD a couple of days to adjust. You could try formula then or even water or juice, it doesn't have to be cows milk as its not recommended until 12 months.

By 9 months when I started to wean DD was having 3 solid meals pretty much around our routine. That is breakfast around 7.30am, lunch around 12pm and dinner around 5.30pm. I introduced an afternoon and morning snack when weaning DD which works out about 9am and 3.30pm.

Best of luck, I hope you reach your goal by 12 months (ish). I'm on 1 BF a night now (before bed time) and its going along really well.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hey Jacka,

Great to hear that you are doing so well and that your decision is obviously the right one! If she's happily playing on the floor then you know she's not really missing it!

I now wait for Logan to come "looking" for boobies during the day rather than offering and he seems to have one little suck throughout the day and that's it (other than morning boobies and night bottle). It's so hard to get used to them not needing it as much isn't it.

Keep up the good work.

Sign in to follow this topic