Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Celebrating our breastfeeding achievements!

Celebrating our breastfeeding achievements! Lock Rss

Hi lovely mums,

I think it's great that 99% of the mums on this site are supportive and caring, and make an effort not to judge others or upset anyone with their comments and opinions. That really helps to make the Hugg!es site the valuable resource and lifeline that it is. smile

But I think a side-effect of this is that we are sometimes reluctant to share our pride in our achievements, particularly with breastfeeding as it is such a hot topic, and we don't want to offend anyone.

This is a shame, because it's so important to celebrate our little daily milestones and give ourselves a pat on the back for our hard work. I have found myself refraining from posting about my breastfeeding success, as I don't want it to look like I'm saying "I can do it, so why can't you?" to mums who formula feed, as that is never my intention.

Sorry to waffle on! So, I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we could say to each other things like, "Yay! My baby is x months old and still b/f and I'm so proud of myself!", without starting a debate about breast vs bottle, or passing any judgement.

I wanted to do this because breastfeeding is hard work, it takes commitment and perserverence (and a little sprinkle of luck), and we should be recognised for it! smile

My daughter is nearly 9 months old and still happily breastfeeding. She has a dairy intolerance so I've had a completely dairy-free diet since she was 3 weeks old, which has been challenging but worth it. I'm really proud that we've come this far, and I plan to continue breastfeeding her until she self-weans. She doesn't have any teeth yet, and I'm hoping when she does she won't bite me too hard! I really enjoy breastfeeding and I think I'll be quite sad when it's over - I think that's when I'll get clucky and want another one!

Breastfeeding is really special to me, and I wanted a place for us to celebrate it.

What do you think? grin

This new forum is strange ...

hi vanya

my dd is 9mths today and i am still breasfeeding her (she has had 2 bottom teeth for 2mths)....

i am the first to admit that it was really hard/painful in the first couple of days while my nipples got used to it, then there was the cracked nipples (bleeding), then there was engorgement, leaking breasts and getting over my insecurities about feeding in public..... but i am so proud of myself that i stuck it out and kept going!!!! i think that i am doing a great thing for my baby....

breastfeeding, overall has been a wonderful experience for us and i definately do understand that sometimes it doesn't work out so well for other mums and babies but it is worth trying...

i am hoping that emmah will keep going till she is 12mths old then we might think about changing things... smile

cheers
kristie

Kristie, tvlle, 3.5yr & newborn

i am very proud of myself for breastfeeding for 4 months

i still get a tad teary thinking about it,my milk dried up sooo dast i didnt even have a chance for a goodbye feed

but i am very proud of myself for doing it well

xx

Lillie....1 year old!!!

Hi Vanya my daughter is 11 months old and she has two botton teeth and she is breastfeed as well and im hoping she will wean herself off and I love breastfeeding and its specail and I wouldnt change it for the world and Jaye is her own person and very independent and stubborn when she wants to be and she is walking around the house now and walking up the stairs by herself and that is scarely when she first did it.

You are right we dont get the recognise for it sometimes and it is hard work being an parent but its worth every minute of it but im not in a hurry to have another one just yet.

Chat soon.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Hello,
Im 20 yrs old and i had my baby boy 11/08/05. I am still breastfeeding and will keep doing so untill he is at least one.
I was really shocked when i first attended my young mums group and there was only one other mum who had breast feed their baby. I think it is such a bonding experience between mother and baby (dont forget its also a lot cheaper than formula). My fiance always comments on the great job im doing breastfeeding our son, and he wishes that he could do the breastfeeding as he thinks he is missing out on something.
My son Seth has bite my breast many times and the first few times that he did so he left small holes that stung when he feed on that breast untill it healed. Now when he bites i make sure that i say no take him off the breast than offer it again in a few minutes and he is normally good than.
Sorry gota go seth wants to play with mummy

talk again soon

seth and mia

Thanks for this thread Ninasmum!

My son is 10 months old tomorrow and we are still happily breast feeding. He loves it, I love it, it's easy (NOW) and he has teeth but it hasn't affected a thing. It was perseverance, stubbornness and luck that's allowed us to continue breast feeding.

It has it's ups and downs from comments like 'Gee he is small, has he had an illness or complications'...'When are you going to wean him off'....'It's disgusting to see older babies still breast feeding'...etc. I think bottle or breast we as Mums bare the brunt of hurtful comments from time to time.

I'm now strong enough to think in my head 'Bugger off, this is my life, my baby, and I'll do what's best for the two of us in our team'. That's what it comes down to really isn't it? What works for not only you and bubs, but your lifestyle. If I were returning to work I'd be weaning now and going bottle, but I'm not so that means I can continue breast feeding.

I also chose to be a hermit at home for a long time whilst trying to work around breast feeding. That choice was hard considering we have such hectic lifestyles these days (certainly not breast feeding friendly - times have changed since our Mothers had us) but again, I'm stubborn and have a strong belief in breast feeding so it drove me to do what ever it took, but that's ME, no one else.

Firstly breast feeding isn't as glorious as it sounded BEFORE I had my son. It took a lot of blood sweat and tears before I 'perfected' breast feeding. There was a time I almost gave up and I think if it hadn't been for the wonderful Lactation Consultant who took me under her wing and came to my rescue at the drop of a pin, I'd have given up at 7 weeks for sure!

Connor didn't know his sucking reflex until 2 1/2 days after he was born so it was hideous hand expressing and feeding him via a syringe. Then he finally started sucking my finger but then he didn't know how to latch on sad So a nipple shield came out and that was finally able to come off at 7 weeks, but in those 7 weeks we went through hell....expressing and topping up for weeks!

Even now Breast Feeding isn't as glorious as I'd hope as I'm quite large breasted, so large I have to hold my breast up whilst he feeds. I can't cradle him like most Breast Feeding Mum's and sit back and relax. I have to have the help of my lap or pillows to prop him up and then one arm holds him and the other hand holds my breast to his mouth.

Only because I totally believe in Breast Feeding was I so stubborn and that belief drove me to keep trying. Sure I suffered PND and I relate that to my stubbornness to keep trying to breast feed as it was HARD STUFF!

I'm not saying I'm super Mum, but I'm stubborn. It was in my better interest way back then to go bottle but the mere thought of a bottle was going to severely add to my PND. See I couldn't win either way.

I feel breast feeding is so out numbered by bottle feeding these days, breast feeding Mum's are the ones who now feel like they are the outsiders.

Well done to both bottle feeding and breast feeding Mum's. I'm sure our babies are mighty healthy either way. Wish we weren't so emotionally fragile though these days to be able to talk about such things without offending others...

...so I hope I haven't offended anyone and appologies for the long posting...

Michelle,Connor,Jai 2/7/08

Hi There
I know i dont have to reply to this or read this post but I am so happy to see those mothers out there who can breastfeed. I am upset though because I had no choice. I breastfed by DS for 1 month before I was hospitalised for severe pancreatitis and nearly died and therefore could not breastfeed anymore. I slipped into a really bad depression over it as I feel so guilty for not breastfeeding him and wanted to so badly. I just think all mothers should recognise the fact that some people, like me would love to have still been breastfeeding but have not been able to. My DS is now 6 months old and is so healthy and happy being a formula fed baby and I am coming out of my depression but for the rest of my life I will never get over the fact that I wanted to breastfeed and couldnt.

Sorry to be a pain but just wanted you all to know that I think it is wonderful that you have all been able to breastfeed and to be thankful that you have had the opportunity.

Thanks
Julie

Julie, SA, mum to Thomas born 21/11/05

Hi what a great forum, I have been feeding Kaitlyn Rose for just over 10 months now and for me it is a big achievement as for the first six weeks of her life she was in a humidity crib and tube fed my expressed milk. For the last few days I have been sick and my milk supply has been low so I have alternated between breast and bottle and realised that no matter what you do the baby looks at you very adoringly.

Unfortunately society is so quick to judge us I to have felt stares in public when I have breastfeed even with a rug over bubs. I think all mums are fantatstic and never appreciated all their efforts until I had my own precious little girl.
So to all mothers whether you breast or bottle congratulations as your babies will love you for providing them such love.
Hi all,

My little girl is almost 3mths and we're still b/f and i congrat's myself each day as it's been a hard road, however the both of us are termined to keep going. We set milestones and once each one is acheived we strive ahead for the next one. i don't know how long i'll b/f for but the aim is for as long as i'm required, with sites like this one it will give me the push to keep going - thankyou all

My midwife told me this saying which has stuck with me "you both have to learn to dance together - then you'll glide through everything together forever"

Enjoy your day

Mummy Munce

Logan is 13, nearly 14 months and is still having 1-2 boobies a day. I hope he continues to have at least one feed a day until he's at least 2, and will tandem feed when his little sister is born in October.

Cheers.

Logan 03/05/05 Lily 06/11/06

It's great that you find breast feeding so wonderful. I to breast feed with both my children & loved every minute of it. But, just a little of adivce. If you let your baby ween herself you will be breast feeding forever. They just love it. Good luck.

kylie,qld,5mth baby, 3yearold

Browsing and was just thinking about putting new thread in bout patting myself on the back and found you beat me to it! Congrats!

My 10 month old girl is still beastfed and I am sooo proud of myself. I t hasn't always been easy, and occasionally when her feeding habits change, I get sad at the thought that this might be 'it', but we're still going and if you donn't give yourself a pat on the back, who will?

P.S. this is my 2nd. My 1st was only bfed for 2 weeks so that makes it so much more special!!
Mothers please enjoy it and appreciate this special thing that only you can do.
Sign in to follow this topic