Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

breast and bottle Lock Rss

Hi my little girl is five months old and i breastfeed, i have started giving her a bottle of formula in the mornings my mum has her and also give 1/2 breast and 1/2 formula, the only reason its formula is she prefers it to breastmilk in a bottle.
Im not ready to stop breastfeeding yet and i know there is the risk of my milk drying up. My bub sometimes fusses at the breast and i wanted to know how i would tell whether it was because she prefers the formula, prefers sucking the bottle instead of the breast or whether my milk was starting to dry up.
Any info would be great.

Amanda,Perth,nearly 10 Month baby Girl

Hi Amanda. I'm not sure how you might tell whether your bub prefers formula to breastmilk but I just wanted to reassure you in relation to your milk drying up. If you keep breastfeeding her when you are with her then I don't think (I may be wrong) that your milk is likely to dry up because of the supply=demand principle. Lots of babies fuss at the breast from time to time for any number of reasons. If you are concerned then can I suggest that you contact an Australian Breastfeeding Association counsellor or hop on the ABA forum as they are very knowledgeable about things like this.
If you are still having touble with your milk there is a script you can get that wil increase your milk in ta couple of days, it helps if you exress 2 hourly when possible

Tina, Connor prem now 2

She could be wanting to start solids. Have you tried starting her on solids yet?

When I went for my bubs 6week check up with the Paediatrician, he advised me to introduce solids at 4.5months of age - not the 6months the health dep't advise.

Firstly, he said that the health department stated 6months for introducing solids, as when they stated 'start at 4months', Mums were introducing it at 3months, so they changed it to 6months.

Also, the Paediatrician showed me printed out research articles from the World Health Organisation - and other areas, that introducing solids (starting with a teaspoon of rice cereal mixed with breast milk) helped reduce likliness of allergies and coeliac disease.

So, this is just a suggestion, as maybe its not formula that she prefers, its the 'full-feeling' she gets from having it etc. My sister introduced solids at 5months as her bub was getting fussy at the breast, and just seemed to want something else - and that worked for her.

Just a suggestion remember .... so sorry if i'm going off the path a bit!
Sign in to follow this topic