Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Feeding Bub Cold Formula Lock Rss

Hi, just wondering for future reference, can you feed your baby cold formula instead of warmed, if not, WHY, and what does it do to your baby.
Just a question.

Thanks
Linda

Linda, Qld,EDD 18/3/05

As far as I know, I don't think it makes a difference, nutritionally or healthwise, whether the formula is warm or cold. I pretty much always warmed my boy's formula but only because he seemed to prefer it warm. Having said that however, it could be that because I usually always warmed it, he got used to it warm. I guess you could experiment with it - go between cold and warm and see which your baby prefers.

The only thing with warming formula though - I did read somewhere that heating formula in a microwave oven could destroy some of the nutritional value - but I often used the microwave and my gorgeous son doesn't seem to have suffered any..... Also with warming, (whether microwave or otherwise) it is probably best to test the temperature on your inner wrist before giving to bubs.... but you probably knew that already.

James' Mum

I normally feed Char either/or depending on the weather. I find room temperature is best when it is hot. I only made the mistake of feeding her from the fridge one day when it was really hot once....... cut to an "icecream headache" for babies. Also, she seemed to get more wind too...... These things are purely trial and error. You'll know what your bub responds to the best!
Breast milk is warm. The concept of warming formula is for the child's comfort. Cold formula can cause stomach achesl. A baby is meant to drink it warm. Drinking cold formula is normally introduced around ten to twelve months of age, with gradually reducing the temperature until the child is drinking it straight from the fridge.

Jsut remember when using a microwave that anything heated in a microwave continues to heat for up to two minutes afterwards and therefore can burn your babies larynx, tongue and throat.

twins

Hi, My 9mo doesn't like formula much (prefers breast milk straight from it's original container!!) but the only way I can get him to take some formula is if it's straight from the fridge. One thing though is that I think it is important to make the formula up using warm/hot water (and then let it cool in the fridge if desired) or the formula wont mix properly and bub won't be getting the proper amount, etc. Best wishes, Di
Hi,
Its probably something best to ask your health provider, although opinions differ, in hospital I was given a fact sheet on bottle feeding my baby, two main points made on it were:
dont feed your baby cold milk
dont feed you baby milk which has been standing for longer than 20mins
Their reasons for this were due to bacteria being able to form in the milk - mid last year I heard on the news that a newborn had died in hospital due to being fed cold formula which scared me.
Several things the hospital advised in bottle feeding contradicted what the manufacturers said, as a new mum they had me confused - who do you believe?
I try to follow the instructions on the can, but do refrigerate the boiled water ready for reheating. I only feed my daughter warm milk (she has no interest in cold milk) and when its hot I also feed her watered down baby juice to keep her hydrated(which she just loves, but it did take several attempts for her to get used to it).
I hope that doesnt put a damper on what the other ladies have said, but I thought it was another thing to consider too.

Arna & Paije (29/09/04)

Bub sorta drinks the bottle when she feels like it, sometimes she'll have a full feed and other times she refuses completely. When its hot I give her cold formula and she drinks it without any fuss. I was advised to do so by the plunket nurse and so far it hasn't affected her in any way.

I also think that age plays a role when it comes to cold or warm formula. Newborn babies would be at a higher risk to bacteria and allsorts but an older baby wouldn't as their immune system is more developed. Older babies put just about everything in their mouths and you can just imagine the amount of bacteria they pick up on their hands when crawling.

Mom of Andraya - 24.04.04 and Miguel - 05.05.08

I feed my son cold formula when it started to get hot and now he has cold milk straight from the fridge. He started cool formula about 4 months ago(now 13 months) and never worried him. He still has 3 milks a day one when wakes up in the morning, afternoon and before bed. he drinks how much he wants and it never worries me. Do what ever feels right if you look on most formul tins it dosnt say anything about temperture?! good luck

Mummy to 3 Boys

Hi, Thanks everyone for your feedback, the question was actually brought up by my hubby, and I thought, well I have never heard anyone say why you couldnt, I asked my doctor and she said she thinks it would only be that the bub would prefer it warm, she didnt seem to think there was any health risks.

But thanks.
Linda

Linda, Qld,EDD 18/3/05

Its certainly up to you and how your baby responds with warming.

If you used a little common sense in the fact that if you are giving them a bottle before bed - its probably ideal to have it warm (liken it to us having a warm drink before bed which can settle you into a nice sleep).

I usually make his bottles warm (avent bottle/feed warmer) at the lunch time and dinner time feeds as after these two feeds he is put down for his midday sleep of about 3 hours and is put to bed by 7pm and sleeps until 6am.

For the other feeds I usually but the bottle in an oversized mug of hot tap water for about 4 minutes which is enough to warm it but not over heat it.
i always warm my bubs bottles up, but he will take it cold as a few times i have been out and theres been no microwave. but he does prefer it warm

Hi,
Its probably something best to ask your health provider, although opinions differ, in hospital I was given a fact sheet on bottle feeding my baby, two main points made on it were:
dont feed your baby cold milk
dont feed you baby milk which has been standing for longer than 20mins
Their reasons for this were due to bacteria being able to form in the milk - mid last year I heard on the news that a newborn had died in hospital due to being fed cold formula which scared me.
Several things the hospital advised in bottle feeding contradicted what the manufacturers said, as a new mum they had me confused - who do you believe?
I try to follow the instructions on the can, but do refrigerate the boiled water ready for reheating. I only feed my daughter warm milk (she has no interest in cold milk) and when its hot I also feed her watered down baby juice to keep her hydrated(which she just loves, but it did take several attempts for her to get used to it).
I hope that doesnt put a damper on what the other ladies have said, but I thought it was another thing to consider too.

wow. You got formula info in hospital? I was breastfeeding at first but for alot of reasons thought about switching to formula & found no one would talk to me about it! I was just always told to keep trying & things will improve. I was so tired & depressed! Since doing my own research & switching me & my boy are so much happier & he is growing & developing extremely well but i still get judged for it! Sorry, a bit off subject.

Sign in to follow this topic