Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Any tricks for getting baby to drink water???

Any tricks for getting baby to drink water??? Lock Rss

My son is 6 months old - once he discovers he's being fed water, his lips seal and he refuses to drink. He was taking it from a syringe but not anymore.

I've also tried feeding him diluted prune juice (when constipated) which he took happily for a few days and now refuses. He won't drink diluted apple juice either.

I wasn't too concerned as he usually drinks a lot of formula, however the last two days he's only drinking half the usual amount. He's perfectly happy but I'd like to keep his fluid level up in this hot weather.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Hi

I know it's not considered "right" any more but my mum did it with us and we're all fine. I add a little sugar to the boiled water while it's still hot. It really is the smallest amout, not even the tip of the spoon, but it's enough to get my boys to drink. Now Alexander is 20 months he doesn't need it and hasn't for a long time, but Marshall does. I thought about it and decided that on hot days like the ones we've had lately, a little sugar is better than not enough fluids!

Cheers

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

Hi Dette

Thanks for your suggestion - What proportions of sugar and water do you use??

Cheers

I usually do 100ml of water with about 1/8th of a teaspoon of sugar. It really isn't much at all. More water would be fine too, but i like the 100ml because then i have an easy number to remember when i'm trying to figure out how much he has had!

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

I did the same thing with my little girl who is 16mths. From about when she was 1mth old I started giving her water with sugar in it and then just gradually decreased it to just water. She loves her water, she drinks it all day in between meals and bottles.
Hi Dette & Jewel

Thanks for your comments. I've tried the sugar in water in a cup rather than a bottle. He wore a lot of it but displayed a lot of enthusiasm smile

Cheers.
hi virgo !!!
my son was the same didn't want to drink water so i gave him a warm one !!! i'm not sure if you give cold or warm but if you didn't try warm yet i suggest you try it !! that's how i got my son to drink it and now he drinks it cold too !!! hope this helps !
keep in touch
Hi Virgo,
My boy is the same, wont drink water at all but the health nurse said to try giving him boiled water in my coffee cup, or what ever you use to drink out of, baby's always want what mummy has, he drinks it because he thinks I do,hope it works for you, good luck.
Mandy.

2 cuties 7/5/99 & 8/9/04

We gave our twins a cup to play with in the bath and of course they loved to have a little drink from the cup. We just kept offering a cup with a small amount of water in it throughout the day and now they love drinking water from their mag mag cup.

As to your little one's constipation - we gave our girls stewed pear as pear is great for constipation. Just remember that formula can make a child constipated especially if you have gone from breast milk to formula. Babies don't really need to drink juice - there's no real nutritional value in it for them - stewed fruit is great for babies.

twins

Hi all,
I have just started to give Paige water with a little Ribena in it, I use 1/4 of a teaspoon or half the lid to 125mls of water, I use the avent nonspill sippers on the avent bottles so that she can see that it is a red colour but tastes only of water & the avent sippers are approved buy the dental association & better for their teeth.
Sign in to follow this topic