Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. 10 month old weaning himself, help!

10 month old weaning himself, help! Lock Rss

Hi there, I'm new here and wondering if some of you can help me. My son is 10 months in a couple of days and is no longer interested in breastfeeding. He latches on, but won't suck. I can get him to take some milk as he's going to sleep. He has been teething, but now seems to resent me trying to feed him and often screams and arches his back. I think I try to feed him too often and he's getting sick of it. It's breaking my heart as I really wanted to feed a toddler.

Has anyone else been through this, and if so, did you wean or somehow get through? My baby wont take a bottle and is reluctant to drink milk out of a cup - maybe drinks 20ml. Any mums whose babies just didn't drink milk at all after 10 months?

I'd appreciate any advice or your own experiences, thanks

Tania, NSW - Mum to 4, Number 5 due Feb 07

I can't help you in the breast feeding department, because i gave up after 3 months due to stress, lack of milk and my son having reflux. But i can recommend pigeon bottle teats for weening. They are alot like mothers nipples and i found them fantastic! Also you may need to cut out one of his feeds. My son is nearly 6mths and is satisfied with 4 feeds a day. Talk to your health nurse she should be able to help.

Di, vic, Jai born 17/8/04

If your try to make him breast feed he will only associate the breast with a negative experience. It does sound like he is weaning himself and although you are disappointed just remind yourself that it's not aobut what you want but what he wants. Don;t mean to sound callous but bubs don't work to our plans - dammit. I would be concerned that he doesn't want to drink milk at all - this is affecting his calcium intake severely. Try him on yoghurt as well as custards to try and boost his calcium intake. Keep perservering with offering milk in a cup after his feeds but definately see your child health nurse asap do so something about his calcium and fluid intake.

twins

Hi there
My 8yr old was breastfed until he was 2 and a half I remember vaguely at around 9 - 10 months that he was a bit off it all. I spoke to my childhood nurse and the nursing mothers and they recommended that I rested a little more in the afternoon to build my supply. Also another thing to consider is if you have your periods again. I recently got mine back (after 6 months) and I remember from Jaycob that whenever I had them he would go off his feeds a little I dont know if it either effects the milk or if it is a hormonal thing but it seemed to be a small problem with both my boys.
Other than that have you tried lying down with him to feed in the afternoons or midmorning, I found woth Jaycob that he would prefer to lie down to feed when he was teething.
Are you having a letdown at all when he is latching on , sometimes bubs dont have to suckle to get milk sometimes just latching on is enough especially if you have a strong letdown. Jaycob didnt drink cows milk until he was 13 months old and even then it was only occasionally. make sure that you are rested, also stressing while you are feeding him about him feeding will only make him a bit more anxious and less likely to have a go, I know it isnt that easy to relax but try lol.
Also I found with Jaycob when he reached that age he needed somewhere quiet to feed as he would be easily distracted by noise or people.
Hope any of this helps and good luck!!!

Jane, sydney, tyler(5mths) Jaycob (8yrs)

Hi again,
I was just talking to my friend who also breastfed her bub until she was 2 and she vividly remembers her little one doing the same as yours at about 9 or 10 months old. she suggested feeding him whilst he is asleep and cutting out formula and or milk. by feeding him when he is asleep he can latch on and the natural sucking motion will take place. The reason she did this was because she was engorged as well. She only had the problem for a couple of days and then it all settled again.
Also he may be full from solids so maybe if you try breastfeeding before offering any solid food
Also keep in mind that breastmilk / formula is the most important part of her diet until he is 12 months old.
if all else fails call the ABA (Australian Breastfeeding Association) they are glad to help.
once again good luck

Thanks for your advice - yes feeding to sleep is the only time Ben will take a decent feed, and I feed him once during the night while he's asleep. He has been a bit better today - it's been going on since he was sick at Christmas time so it's not a breastfeeding strike. We will struggle on till 12 months hopefully as I don't think we'll have much luck with a bottle. He drinks an avent bottle full of water with a soft spout throughout the day so I'm not worried about his hydration - I just want us both to ENJOY feeding again - for the first 8 months or so we both loved it. Oh well....

Tania, NSW - Mum to 4, Number 5 due Feb 07

hang in there I am sure that you will both be enjoying it all again soon. It may just ne one of those things that pass eventually
good luck

Sign in to follow this topic