Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Any late breastfeeders? Lock Rss

My bub is 9 months and i am still breastfeeding. I wonder at times if she is getting enough as it is so hard to tell when you breastfeed. Just wondering if there are any other mums that are still breastfeeding older babies on this site?

jen, mum to sahra born 28.6.04

Hi there,

Riley is 11mths now and I am still breastfeeding him 4 times a day. He really looks for the first morning feed and bedtime feed the most, but I think that the 2 day time feeds he just enjoys out of habit. I always intended to feed him to about 12mths and am TTC#2 at the moment so I think that I will try to wean him off the day time feeds soon. I don't know who will have the most trouble weaning... him or me!! smile

Linda - mum to Riley 13.04.04 (#2 Due 29.12.05)

Hi Jen - Ben is 11 months and we are still breastfeeding - I posted a reply to the rundown question because I wonder how much Ben gets too, and my supply doesn't always seem great but I want to persevere. I rang ABA the other day and the counselor I spoke to said it's really normal for older babies and toddlers to be disinterested for a few days and then be enthusiastic about feeding again. That was reassuring - I know Ben builds my supply back up when he is hungry.

Tania, NSW - Mum to 4, Number 5 due Feb 07

Hi, great to hear from you both. My bub has a big feed in the morning as well and then kind of a snacky drink 10 and 2 during the day. It is driving me crazy in the evening though, she has a huge dinner at 5 and then i try and bfeed her up til 7 when she goes to bed and she just seems to have no interest. Then she will wake up at 10.30/11 and want a huge drink!! My baby health nurse said she should only be having 3 bf's a day and to let her cry it out but i cant bring myself to. I would love any suggestions or ideas as i am getting so frustrated. I did give her a bottle the other night and she drank 100mls so mabye it is my letdown that is the problem.

Jen - my bf baby hardly drinks at all at bedtime - he is full from his big dinner - but he has a bf at my bedtime and another at 4 am. He's 11 months. I personally think that what your health nurse said is a load of rubbish. Why should they only have 3 bf's? It's not like bottlefeeding where they have a huge 200 ml or so each time they feed. BF babies may have a drink of 50ml or so and then be ready for their big feed an hour or two later. Do we say no because they've already reached their quota of 3? If you want to bf into toddlerhood I don't think you can put these kind of restrictions on you bub. But if you are ready to wean I think your clinic nurses advice will put you on that path. Talk to an ABA counselor on the phone if you need more reassurance that what your bub is doing is totally normal. Hope this helps.

I agree with Tania, I think that saying they should have only 3 feeds a day is like saying that every baby is exactly the same (which we all know is untrue). There can be heaps of variations to that, including if it's hot or bubs is feeling unwell. Riley will sometimes have a little feed, then get distracted with something and come back for more 10mins later.

I think that an ABA counselor would be a good person to speak with, as they deal with many different situations. smile

Linda - mum to Riley 13.04.04 (#2 Due 29.12.05)

Thanks Tania and Linda, I agree, well when i said that i couldnt let her cry it out she suggested to give Sahra water but i know in my heart when she is really thirsty for milk or just mucking around. I so dont want to wean as i have made it this far and just want to see how long i can go. I actually dont know anyone else who breastfeeds on this site. Not saying bottle feeding is bad as each mum and bub is different but there was not many others to talk to about stuff! So thanks for the feed back, I am inspired now to keep going with it. Tania, is your bedtime about 10.30? I guess that is the same time Sahra wants her drink.
I might ring up the ABA and just ask about my letdown as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Jen - Ben has that late feed between 10.30 and 11.30. About your let down - I know as Ben gets older my let down is slower, I think because I'm not so full of milk - when you're full the let down can happen instantly, but now, it can take a couple of minutes, and even though I feel empty, when Ben feeds I still hear plenty of swallowing - I just need to keep him focused and sucking until the letdown happens. I have 4 kids, so that's why I need to go somewhere quiet to feed - if he pulls off and wriggles I say "come on Ben, have another go" and rock him a bit, then he will keep sucking. Worrying about your letdown is a sure way to inhibit it - I know, I had 10 days of let down problems when he was still exclusively BF. Now I relax and know that it will happen - have a drink of water just before you feed, express a bit before Sahra goes on, think about something else so you're not focusing on how much milk Sahra is getting.

Prolactin levels are higher at night so that bedtime feed is actually very good for your milk supply. It's these babies who wake every hour latch on to the breast and fall straight back to sleep that should be discouraged from night feeding - what your bub is doing is fine - as long as you are happy with her doing it - not getting too tired from it. Often I'm asleep (on the lounge in front of the telly) then wake up, feed Ben and then go to bed myself.

If you're interested in extended b/f there is a wonderful site where there are many many like minded parents, who practice b/f, co-sleeping, baby wearing and anything else in between.
The site is www.naturalparenting.com.au
Thanks elorasmum - that site is great so much info - been looking there for hours!

ah, no worries, I am a regular there. Its nice to get two different points of view and take what you like from both.
hi, just wondering with all you mums breastfeeding at 10 or 11 months, are your bubs sleeping through the night? and are they having solids? thanks

Kelly, NSW, Caleb born 3/10/00, Hannah born 21/8/0

Sign in to follow this topic