Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. any mums feeling down while weaning bubs?

any mums feeling down while weaning bubs? Rss

My little man is 8 months and I'm moving him to the bottle and i have been quite down lately when someone pointed out that they also got a bit down while weaning their bubs, anyone else feeling this?

Liams Mum,NZ,14mth boy

Weaning has always been an awful time for me. It actually triggered PND with my first as she weaned at not even 6 months - and I was devastated. The medical explanation is the drop in happy hormones that are circulating while breastfeeding, but there's a lot of emotional stuff as well - baby not needing you for sustenance anymore, the end of a special bfing relationship, worry over them drinking enough milk - mine never would when weaned. I'm at that stage with my 12 1/2 month old and I feel really depressed. Quite normal but still horrible to go through.

Tania, NSW - Mum to 4, Number 5 due Feb 07

Yep, i was really sad with my first, even though i was also extremely 'ready' to stop! I'm about to wean my second and again it really sucks! Again, I'm more than ready to have my boobs back (so's hubby!!!) but will miss the closeness. Bonding can still happen with bottles, but it's just different. sad
You're not alone.

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

I am starting to wean today sad sad

I really enjoy being close to him while BF, but as #2 is on it's way, I really need to give myself some time off before doing it again. I have not been looking forward to it at all and have put it off for the last couple of weeks. I will work on one feed at a time and see how it goes. I hope that I don't get too down, especially with these pregnancy hormones as well!!

Linda - mum to Riley 13.04.04 (#2 Due 29.12.05)

yep i had the same thing i had to wean my son at 7 months due to him biting. it triggered pnd for me. i guess it was probly always there but it didnt comeout till then. i miss feeding so much nathan is 10.5 months now and its getting easer now.

tamara

I weaned my girl at 6 months as I was going back to work doing nightfill and it was easier to give bub a bottle at night. She then liked how quick it came out and completely weaned herself. She is now 10 months and I see a few of the other women in my mothers group feeding their bub and I still get a little down, wishing I was still doing it! I cradle my girl as close to me as I can while giving her the bottle, even though she can feed herself, I like the closeness. I guess it is a catch 22 situation - you think you can't wait to get them on the bottle, but you miss it like crazy when its gone!

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

Ive just weaned my 13 mth old and I miss it soooo much, it does seem to be bothering him at all so I guess thats the main thing but it certainly doesn't make it any easier!!

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Sign in to follow this topic