Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. 2ND TIME MUM, 1ST TIME BREAST FEEDING??

2ND TIME MUM, 1ST TIME BREAST FEEDING?? Rss

I HAVE A 9 MONTH OLD SON, AND AM PLANNING TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE SOON. I BOTTLE FED MY SON DUE TO SORE NIPPLES, THIS TIME AROUND I'M HOPING TO BREASTFEED. I HEARD THAT THE AVENT NIPPLETTES HELP TO SHAPE YOUR NIPPLES FOR BREAST FEEDING. IF ANY ONE OUT THERE HAS HAD GONE THROUGH THE SAME OR USED THE NIPPLETTES, I WOULD LOVE TO HERE FROM YOU.

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

I used the nipplettes after I had my daughter as I have inverted nipples that corrected during pregnancy but reverted back after I gave birth. I found that they didn't really help at all but they were really quite painful.

The truth is that most sore nipples during breastfeeding are due to poor attachment and can't really be helped by devices such as nipplettes. You should also consult your doctor before you use these during pregnancy as nipple stimulation can be dangerous especially during the later stages of your pregnancy.

I would suggest you contact the Australian Breatsfeeding Association and attend one of their antenatal breatsfeeding classes-- I wish I had.

You can also see a lactation consultant if you exprience any nipple soreness during feeding when your baby is born. I have found their help to be invaluable!

Good luck!
With my first child i too had very sore nipples and i'm pretty sure it was because well - i hadn't done it before and the attatchment was not right. After a few months of persistance it paid off. They were so sore but they were alright after a little while i ended up breastfeeding for 13mths. With my second child there was a little bit of discomfort but nothing like the first. And the third didn't even hurt so i think its like learning a new thing for you and the baby. Ask your Breastfeeding assocition mothers. I found them very helpful and non-judmental. Good luck.

Ngari 25, mother of 3

Thank-you Krista and ngari.
Iwould like to go to the breastfeeding antinatal classes, I never knew about them last pregnancy.
Idid go to a lactation cosultant which helped while I was there, but as soon as I went home the same problems started.
As I have very large boobs they seemed to drop as soon as I put myarm around him. Like If I was going to feed him from the left.Iwould bring him to me with my right hand while shaping my boob withl my left fingers. Then when he was latched on, I would put my left arm around him and get comfortable.
Is that wrong? I want to get it right from the start this time as last time I couldnt tell whether the pain was from him not latching properly, or if it was because they were cracked already.
And how long was a little while,before it didnt hurt anymore?

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

Hi Mishka,
I have had 3 children and breast fed all of them. When I was pregnant with my first baby, my doctor advised me to start nipple preparation immediately. All this involved was rolling the nipple between your fingers for a few minutes each day. I did this while I was in the shower each night. When the colostrum comes through (around 6 months gestation), express a little each day and rub into the nipple with you fingers. Don't wash it off. This gives the nipple a protective coating, and helps to stop cracking. I did this with all my pregnancies, and never had cracked or sore nipples with any of my kids. I am still breast feeding my almost 8 month old son without any problems. Also, if you are successful at breastfeeding, don't wash your nipples after baby has had a feed. This will moisturize you nipple and again help to prevent cracking. As for the way you get you baby to latch on, you do it what ever way is comfortable for you, as long as the baby is latched on properly. If the baby in latch on correctly, there should be no pain at all. If there is, put your little finger into the corner of their mouth so that they release the nipple, and try again. Practice makes perfect. I had trouble for the first few days with my first son, but then once I got the hang of it, had no more problems. Good luck. If you want to know any more, you can contact me on traceyl01@hotmail.com

Mother of 3, Qld

Sign in to follow this topic