Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Breastfeeding with teeth Lock Rss

Please help me. I am Breastfeeding my 9 month old daughter and she now has 5 teeth. Over the past few weeks I have been getting open sores on my nipples from her teeth rubbing on them. It is excruciating to feed or express.

I didn't want to give up BF until she was 12 months. I have resorted to feeding her upside down and bandaids on my nipples. I don't want my nipples to get infected and cause major problems.

What should I do? Should I just give up. If so does she have to go onto formula or can she go on cow's milk?

Help.

Katie, QLD, Amelia and Max

is it her purposly rubbing her teeth or is it just an accidental rub? if its something she knowingly does then its a learnt behaviour that she can be taught to stop-my 9month old started biting me and this might sound harsh but i would flick her on the cheek and really sternly say "NO Molly" and she would cry and whail and so on but it did not take long for her to stop! If you give her a little shock each time she does it she will associate that rubbing with a negative things and hopefully stop!

the other option is to get some good nipple sheilds and see how that goes.

it sounds really sore and i give you full credit for persevering through the pain!
Good luck
Kath

Kathryn - Zack-4, Toby-2 & Molly 1

ouch!
it sounds like you have had some small success with different positions for feeds. perhaps it would help to look at what is different positioning wise with the sore breast and the not sore breast.

( if it is happennig more on one than on the other)

you could try pulling her body closer into you and make sure she is turned in towards you , this can help to position the mouth in the corect place for feeding. show her how to open her mouth wide and shape the nipple a bit so that she can latch onto a good mouthful of the breast.

sometimes as babies get older it is easier to let the attachment and positioning slide, but going back to the basic positoining and attachment can help.

mum of 3 girls

Hey,

Sorry but i'm a little bit confused when you say nipple do you actually mean your nipple or your areola. If it is your nipple then it sounds that she is not attaching properly because your nipple should be back at her soft pallet. If this is the case you may need to re teach her how to attach properly.

On the other hand if it is your areola I completly understand. I used to get sores from her feeding but now i only get indents. I don't really think there is anything that you can do if she is not donig it intentionally. You sould try nipple sheilds it wont stop the pain but you wouldn't get the sores anymore.

Seeing as your bub is under 12 months you need to put her onto formula if you decide to cease breastfeeding.

There are these great things out there that are called mother mates. The are a set of gel pads that you put in the fridge and between feeds put them over your nipple area. They make sores and cracks ect heal incrediably fast and provide comfort and a lot of releif while not feeding. However these are quite expensive. But if you decide to keep feeding these really are great things.

Hope I have helped.

Tiddles, Vic, 3/1/2006 dd

Sign in to follow this topic