Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. not sure if this is right or not

not sure if this is right or not Lock Rss

im daughter is 6 months old and has been having solids for almost 2 months now, im just wondering whether she is getting enough milk . . .

for brekkie she has a weetbix with apple and she will only drink about 70mls of milk

another bottle 3 hours later maybe only 150 mls (if im lucky)

lunch some fruit and another 100mls or so

another small bottle bout 100mls 2 hours later

and then some meat and vegies and mabe only 50 mls

thats only like 400mls a day (i have tried backing off the food and trying more milk, but she wont drink - she just gets cranky till you feed her food

is this enough, or should i be doing something different, or is it to much?

TRINA, ZANE (both 22) imogen 12.11.04, Eden 23.11.

hi trina,
i havent quite got to this stage yet but i suppose if she is happy and putting on some weight then its okay. all you can do is offer it too her.

sorry not much help

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Hi Trina

I'm not exactly sure how you would go about this - maybe as you have been, and 'laying off the food' for a while - but up until 12 months of age breastmilk/formula should still be the main source of nutrition. 'Solids' during the first 12 months are often referred to [though, of course important!!] as really only a taste & texture experiment. smile

Maybe a chat to your child health nurse? she may have some ideas? - then again Imogen probably has her own ideas and any amount of manouvering my be in vain! grin

Good luck!

jm
Hi Imogen's mum

Don't stress!!! I have an 8 month old boy who has never had the 'right' amount of milk. He has been bottle fed almost from the start and we have always struggled with getting him to drink the right amount. I used to worry about it all the time until the paed told me to put him on solids. He has now been having solids since he was almost 5 months old and still drinks as much as he wants (or doesn't want!) We average about 600ml per day, including what goes on his cereal. I do things like make his cereal more runny by adding more formula. I often put formula in with his meat & vegies and use lots of fairly liquidy type fruits ie stewed apples/pears etc. This all makes for fun and games when I'm trying to feed him and he wants to play. Sometimes it just goes everywhere!!!
If you are concerned speak to your Dr, but I think if your little one is weeing fine and doesn't look dehydrated (ie dry skin, skin that doesn't spring back when you lightly pinch it) then I wouldn't be too worried.
I'm sure you are doing the right thing and your little one will let you know what she needs.
Good luck

Helen & Charlie, Vic

Hi Imogens mum,
Not to stress you out but i used to give weetbix until my baby health nurse gave me a form from Saniterium ( sorry bout the spelling)
They recommend that it is to be given to bubs 9 months and over as it is hard to digest.
So i switched back to rice cereal (which bub prefers now)
Just for your info as i didnt know either.
Best of luck,Jen

jen, mum to sahra born 28.6.04

Jen I had heard about the weetbix too and so I contacted them directly and they confirmed 9 mths and over for weetbix due to high fibre content.... my MCHN said to just watch them to see how they go with it. My son and another in mums group were badly constipated so we stopped it for a while (this was about 7 mths old) and anohter lady had no probs but mixed some baby cereal in with it.

I reckon sanitarium should put it on the box!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi steph,
ive been giving my daughter a weetbix every morning for breakfast since she was 6 months old.i have never had any problems, she has never been constipated. i was never told by my BHN or by anyone. my daughter doesnt like the babys cereal or farex. is there a nother cereal i could give her?? i think they should make more cereals for baby ones that are actually appealing

aimee

Aimee, 4 year old princess

Ben likes the heinz multigrain breakfast with banana - the red box - it actually doesn't taste too bad because of the banana flavour.

Re: weetbix - I heard 9 months too - I know babies will tolerate it before 9 months, but they are probably digesting and absorbing very little of it.

Tania, NSW - Mum to 4, Number 5 due Feb 07

Hi all

Yeah - About the weet-bix ... it is the wheatgerm [in wholemeal food] that might irritate the bowel before 9 months. High fibre things also interfere with iron absorption and adult bran-based cereal should be avoided until 2 years [obviously weet-bix doesn't fall into this category]. Also too much fibre fills up the bub's small stomach capacity and then you risk a reduced energy intake.

Too many people haven't even heard of the '9 month' limit for wholemeal - and it is this kind of thing that should be standard info for all parents, don't you think? - and Yes It SHOULD be on the packets!! Isn't it just SOOOO frustrating and annoying to find out something isn't recommended AFTER you've done it - in good faith!!?? Ah well. I suppose, as they say, we can only do the best we can with the information we have at the time!!

Another couple of things that aren't mentioned much - HONEY - shuldn't be used until 12 months [because of the slight risk of botulism] ... but surprisingly, I think this is probably beter known than the wholemeal one!

and EGG - should start with egg yolk only - because egg allergy is one of the most common allergies and the protein in the egg white is usually the culprit. I have read both 12 months and 10 months as the age you can introduce egg white [so not sure which is the true recommendation] but if there is any one with egg allergy in the family, definitely after 12 months.

Cheers for now

jm

Aimee
I wouldn't worry too much if she's not having too much trouble with it - but you could also try porridge esp now its getting colder smile

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Imogen seems very young to not be having milk first before her solids, I would try to give her a bottle then some solids, but she really does sound like she is eating really well, better than most 6 month olds I know, so she would be getting a lot of the nourishment she needs from the food she eats, and the calcium from the milk she drinks,

Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

hi imogens mummy!!!
i wouldn't worry about it too much if she looks happy and healthy !! just give her some yoghurt if she likes it that takes care of her dairy intake !!!
my sisters baby refused to drink milk (or formula ) since she was a month old so my sister was feeding her with solids and she is a very healthy nine year old now !!!
so just do what feels wright !!! mothers instinct is the best !!! i kinda had enough with all these do and don'ts it makes us all stress out more and can't enjoy our babies !!!
so don't worry if she seems happy it is fine !!!
hope this helps !!!
Sign in to follow this topic