Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

eczema Lock Rss

My baby 6 mths has eczema he is breast feed but ive been advised to go to bottle because of a food allergy i could be passing to him through my milk.But we are having problems coming off the breast we are trying s26 in the bottle but he wont take it.what can i do i have thought it could be the formula taste or he just wants the boob and thats all.Please help anyone and has this happened to anyone else

Bec, Saratoga Central Coast 6 mth boy

I couldnt breast feed my baby so I am not sure about that. If you wanted to keep breastfeeding Perhaps you should get advice from someone else and maybe alter your diet so you are avoiding the major possible trigger foods for allergies. Your baby will be ready for solids now so you will have to figure out what foods he can and cant eat anyway soon. My boy is 12 months old and I am working through 'safe' foods for him as he also suffers from eczema. He is allergic to wheat, eggs and I think intolerant to dairy. Also rockmelon for some reason causes hives for him! It could also be something environmental - my bub is allergic to cats also, we have a cat so if he comes in too much contact with her he gets a rash from that... My son is on a soy formula, which tastes yukky and he drinks it!! Good luck, I'd love to hear how you go.

Suz, NSW

Hi
my little boy developed eczema when he was just 6 weeks old, at the time he was formula feed but this was not the cause, we found it to be soap products/wipes etc. So then I went on to use all natural products like Lux for his clothing, Alfa Keri Oil for his baths and only the Johnson Baby wipes for Sensitive skin, I found all this works well and his eczema went away with the Sigmacort cream, so then I kept using all these products for washing etc and he still stayed on the formula (which is S26) and no more outbreaks until we introduced solids and then I found Wheet has been a big problem with him breaking out in eczema. But to be sure as its always hard to determine what is flaring up the eczema you should maybe get an allergy test done on your baby, so far I haven't had this with my baby as there is nowhere local that will do this, but they are looking into getting a test kit soon so then I'm definetly taking my son to have a test, also I'll be going along for one as I also have many allergies to food and soap products.
Hayley

Hi Beck,
Both a little boy from my mums group and Gemma had eczema at about 5/6 months. The other mum tried changing her diet - stopped eating dairy for a few weeks to see if there was any difference, ate just chicken for a few weeks, then red meat - no difference. Gemma was formula fed at that stage. We both got prescribed a cream by the doctor called Advantin Ointment. Now this does have a very small amount of cortisone in it, but sooooo effective. Both of us were told to put it on sparingly once a day for 5 days. Both of our kids were cleaned up in the 5 days. And the little boy was covered in eczema.
I must admit I didn't like the idea of using the cream, but was advised by both the doctor and the pharmicist that it would not harm her skin as it is used for such a small time, and it is only people who use cortisone cream regulary that have problems with thin skin.
I hope you might be able to try this, it was such a relief to see nice skin on the kids again and not have to cover their whole body up to prevent them from scratching. Good luck!!!

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

Hi beck

Can I ask, who advised you to stop breastfeeding? If it is something you are passing through your breastmilk, didn't someone suggest elimination diet first? Or have you been through all that. What if the allergy is caused by cow's milk - the formula will then be the cause of more eczema!!

As I understand it, if a child has eczema, then the BEST thing for that is to breastfeed and if possible eliminate the causitive agent from your own diet - failing success with that, then holding off on anything other than breastmilk for as long as possible was the best thing. Could you let me know what you were told?

No doubt you have tried many things, but I understand keeping up the moisturiser helps.

Cheers

jm
I totally agrree with jm - from all I've read breastfeeding is best for babies with allergies - plus delaying solids as long as you can - which is easier to do when you are breastfeeding.

Please find out from ABA before you wean bub - it could cause way more problems!

Tania, NSW - Mum to 4, Number 5 due Feb 07

Hi Bek
How did you go? Have you had any luck yet with bubs skin? Let us know!!

i had problems in the begining giving my bubs a bottle of formula, i found routine is the key and also persistance! try doing it once a day for a feed for a couple of days and hopefully by the end he will take the bottle for that feed and only that feed. if that doesnt work, i can also suggest - (what we did) giving him boob to start with and QUICKLY swapping the boob to the bottle, if he is really hungry he might just swap... this took persistance for us and eventually he took the bottle!
HOPE YOU WORK IT OUT, let us know what the end result is!

mumsgroup.tk -Kayden 31.1.05 & Tianah 25.8.06

Hi Bec,
Just so you know the cream we used for our kids were a last resort. I failed to tell you in my other post that we had tried allsorts, and between us (as we shared) it cost us over $150 in different types of creams and natural solutions, and was done over 3 months. So we didn't take the easy way out and go straight for the cortisone cream. We also live in a very warm climate (Pilbara WA) so the heat didn't help it either.
Again I hope you find something that works for you.

Hi, just wondering who advised you to stop breastfeeding???? sounds totally bizarre to me as breastfeeding should protect bubs. You should contact the Breasfeeding Association I think that is what they are called they will give you the correct advice on this matter, You baby is probably refusing because he dosnt want to take the bottle. Good Luck!!!!

sharnes mum

Sign in to follow this topic