Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

unsettled irregular feeds Rss

My 16 week baby has just started waking in the night and has become very unsettled. He was doing 8 - 9 hour sleeps but now wakes a couple of times during the night. i have tried settling him without a bottle but he seems to be hungry and will only sleep again after a feed. i thought it may have been teething as he is drooling alot and constantly chewing his hands, but he wakes happy, not crying or in pain. During the day he has also become very irregular, sometimes taking a whole bottle, other times only a little. He was feeding every 3 - 4 hours during the day but this is all over the place at the moment. We had the same thing happen a few weeks ago and then he settled back into his normal routine. However, it has resurfaced and we are back to irregular feeds and a generally unsettled baby. He is formula fed and gaining weight. Anyone have any ideas?????????
Hi NS,
Your baby may be going through a growth spurt. Most babies go through this at 6 weeks, 3-4 months, then again a 6 months and 12 months. Some babies go through more, others less. It could also be teething, or a mixture of both. Try offering a drink of water. If this doesn't work, and feeding him allows him (and you) to get back to sleep, it might be worth putting up with it for a little while. Have faith, he will grow out of it and things will get better. Have a great christmas, and a safe and happy new year.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Thanks Tracey
You have confirmed what I was thinking and I am sure that things will get better. I guess it just takes awhile to get used to the unpredictable nature of babies. Just when you think you have worked out a pattern............
All it takes is a smile or a little laugh and your heart melts making it all worthwhile.

Thanks for your reply. It is comforting to know that i am on the right track.
Hi NS,
Hope you had a great xmas. Babies are just trial and error. I agree with you. You think you are finally in a pattern or rountine, then along comes something else to disrupt it again. My 8 month old son, Brady, was sleeping until about 7-8am. Now he is waking around 5am, having a drink of milk, playing for half and hour, then going back to bed for a couple of hours. He is also eating a lot more. I think he is going through another growth spurt too. I take comfort in the fact, that I know he will grow out of it and things will get better. These things never last forever!! Have a safe and happy new year.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

hi my jshua has just turned 16wks . and until 2wks ago was waking in the middle of the night at all crazy times. we figured it may by a growth spurt as they happen at 3,6wks and 3, 6 and 12 months. he would only go back to bed with a bottle. we ruled out his weight gain as he was doing well,we even bumped it up . so we had started him on a tsps of baby cereal daily after the second feed but still he was waking up. so i suggested to put him in his cot. magic!!!9.30pm-7.am. try this its a winner!!

mother of joshua born AUG 28 2003

up until my daughter was 3 mths old she was happy and a regular good feeder but from 3mths she began suffering from the same unsettled behaviour, she would cry alot during feeding and would take over an hour to drink 120mls of milk, when she was 6mths old we took her to a peaditrition and she was digonsed with reflux, she was given Losec and she settled right down into a regular feeding pattern and the crying stopped

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Things have settled down considerably and I tend to put the disruption down to a growth spurt. Even his reflux has nearly gone. We have just started a small solids meal in the evening and he is sleeping another hour or two.

It is nice to know that there are other mums experiencing the same things. It is also very comforting to be able to chat.

Thanks a million!!
Sign in to follow this topic