Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Going Back to Work Rss

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting work next week - 3 days a week. I have a 5 month old son who at the moment is only breastfeed. I was just wondering whether or not to give up breastfeeding all together and just put him formula or do both, as I CAN"T express enough milk throughout the day to feed him.

We gave him a bottle of formula (Karicare Gold)yesterday and he loved it, he wasn't too sure on it today though, but he'll have to get used to it.

What do you think???

Thanks
Mandy

Mandy, Ippy, 15weekBub

Mandy,

All I can say is follow your heart - I'm still at home with Jacob - but are you able to express?

If so are you able to express enough to cover 3-4 feeds?

My Jacob will be six months on 30 June and its really hard for me to offer advice because my situation could be different to yours.

I comp fed Jacob until 3.5 months and then he was formula fed with solids etc.

All I can say is "trust yourself" - you know your baby better than anyone - trust and believe and you can't go wrong.!

Blessings Mandy!
hi, i am doing the same thing at the moment, going back to work 2-4 days a week and my baby boy is totally breast fed. dont give up breast feeding if you love it like i do. if you are able to express at work then i think you should express as much as you can and if its not quite enough then you can suppliment with formula or do as i do. i am doing shift work and my break is only 10 mins for 6 hrs so i am not able to express in that time. so i feed him before i go to work then express. come home from work then express because hes had a bottle then after every feed i express so there will be enough milk for him when im at work. it does take heaps so time but i think its worth the effort!! my baby is totally breast fed and i work casually....so dont give up it can be done! so give it a go.

good luck with whatever you choose to do

Cheryl,SA,Danika born 24.10.03 Matthew born 5.3.05

Hi Mandy

I am currently in the same situation as you. I will probably be going back to work for 3 days a week and have totaly breastfed my 6 month old until about 2 weeks ago. I also found that he was getting frustrated with the boob because there sometimes isn't enough milk supply, i seem to dry up in the afternoon.

I decided i would give him the breast in the morning (as the supply is really good) and at night before bed but with formula in the afternoon (usually 2 in the day).

I have found that S26 Gold is really good (friend is a midwife and recommended) and he now feeds himself with the bottle. We still share the bond of breastfeeding and it works well. You just need to find what works for you.

Kath M (Dylan 2 & Lachlan 8mths)

Sign in to follow this topic