Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. what age did you change to bottle?

what age did you change to bottle? Lock Rss

hey guys,
my little boy is 5months and i recently went to the doctors to get tablets to increase my milk supply because i started to get a shortage. Everything is fine now, but thought i would ask at what age did you change to the bottle? and what formula you use? visit mumsgroup.tk for weekly baby specials!

mumsgroup.tk -Kayden 31.1.05 & Tianah 25.8.06

hey there princess leia,
i put my twin boys on formula at about 4 months as i was just running out of milk and they were unsettled. So i decided to change to formula and they have been great ever since. ive put them on S26 and i havent had any problems with it, i wouldnt change to anything else.....
cheers
trace.....
Hi princess leia, I put my baby on formula S26 when she was around 3 months, I was still breast feeding in the morning and night, and formula during the day, now she is nearly 6 mnths old and is only on formula and is going realy well. She didn't seem to mind the change.

Kelly's mum (14/01/05) walking

Hi Leia

I breastfed my son until he was 13 1/2 months old. At that time I found it hard to get him to drink anything at all so he was getting all his calcium needs from yoghurt, cheese and milk on his cereal. He never had a bottle -apart from a few comp feeds as a newborn. Anyway to cut along story short he evntually start drinking water and milk from a straw cup. If you decide to breastfeed until 12 months your baby may not even need a bottle or formula. Our child health nurse said that most babies are able to drink from a sipper cup or a straw cup from 6 months (apparently most breastfed babies find straws easier) so you may be able to bypass bottles altoghether - making it easier in the long run.

Take care
Jasmine
I started my son on bottles at 8 months (it took about a month for him to be completely off the breast) mainly cos I felt I was running out of milk but also due to wanting another child close together. My daughter I'm trying to wean at the moment (shes nearly 9 months). Reasons cos she already has 3 teeth & fourth on the way (James didn't get any till 9 months) and she bit me so it was really painful feeding her and that kind of got the ball rolling. Having some success (but limited) on S26 Gold at the moment, and I think it was the same brand to start with with James, but I tried Heinz etc later on, and plain S26 all with no probs.

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Hi

With my oldest I stopped breastfeeding at about 9.5 months as my milk supply started to dry up as I was pregnant again. I found that bottles with a normal teat were no good for her, she just could not suck out of them for some reason.

What I did was give her formula in a bottle but used the avent sipper teats with the valve in them. They were fantastic as she was used to them as I had previously given her water in sippy cups with this teat from the age of 6 months.

I originally planned to stop bf at 6 months but it was going so well I continued till then. I have a four month old now and I will probably keep bf till about 9 months or so and will try using the same avent sipper teat with her.

Also, my oldest has from 6 months also used the tommee tippee straw cups which are also very good particularly for bf babies.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Sign in to follow this topic