Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. s26 gold and green poo - HELP!

s26 gold and green poo - HELP! Lock Rss

Hi All
I recently stopped breastfeeding (very reluctantly) and now have my 4month old DD on formula. I used to give her comp feeds with the s26 gold stick packs and so when I put her full-time onto formula I stuck with the same thing as I had heard that s26 is the tried-and-trusted etc! BUT She has a lot of trouble pooing and I often have to lift her legs up and down to help her along as the poo is coming out VERY GREEN and like soft-serve... sorry to be so graphic but I dont know how else to explain it! I had a look at other brands such as Karicare but noticed that the sodium/salt level is markedly higher in the Karicare gold than the s26 gold... is this something to worry about? Has anyone else had the same probs with the s26? Advice would be great!
Z x
ps: I have hard that green poo means too much iron ...?????
Hello, I now have 2 children and I had the same problem as you with both of them. It is not widely known that S26 Gold does cause the baby to produce green poo and it is nothing to worry about if they are fine otherwise, that wasnt the case with my boys I had to change the formula for both of them as they were getting the symptoms of colic with a sore tummy lifting legs and trouble pooing. I suggest you try a different formula as all my boys problems dissolved as soon as I changed, although they are both reflux so I put them on a thickened formula. I suggest you buy as many of the packet samples and try them out for at least a couple of days to see what happens to poo and if they settle better I found my boys basically chose the formula for them and that is all that matters really as all formulas are suitable for nutritional needs just different portions of things and some suit some and not others. If that makes sence.
My daughter is on Nestle Nan and she also has the green poo. lovely isn't it? I also tried S26 Gold and found it made my daughter constipated but the Nestle Nan is great for her.

I consulted the Bible (Robin Barker's Baby love) and she states that green poo is the standard colour for bottle fed babies.

Goodluck!
Most "gold" formulas will have added iron so that can turn your bub's poos into that wonderful green colour. Most bottlefed bubs will strain when doing a number 2's as they are more formed than breastfed ones. However if the poo is hard and dry then yes your child is constipated and you should look at changing to another formula or atleast not a gold one, but if it is still soft then it really isn't consitpation, just having to struggle a bit to get it out. Switching and changing formulas unnecessarily can be disruptive too so hoping it all works out ok for your little one.
My DD struggled a bit for a while but it all went ok and she stayed on the same formula for 12 months.

Hi ZLB
I've got a 7 week old who has been on s26 for 3 weeks almost now. When I went in for my 6 week checkup the midwife watched as I changed his pooey nappy and said it wasn't normal for his poop to be so green. It's the second person to bring it up to me in the last week, but I had always thought it was due to the iron. So now naturally I'm worried! He's pooing every day and it's like soft serve as you said. But it's getting greener by the day. His legs are quite often brought up, but he was like that when I breast fed too. But he's generally a happy boy and otherwise seems healthy. Did you end up changing formulas and did your bubs poop stay green?? Help!!
Lis_Parsons wrote:
Hi ZLB
I've got a 7 week old who has been on s26 for 3 weeks almost now. When I went in for my 6 week checkup the midwife watched as I changed his pooey nappy and said it wasn't normal for his poop to be so green. It's the second person to bring it up to me in the last week, but I had always thought it was due to the iron. So now naturally I'm worried! He's pooing every day and it's like soft serve as you said. But it's getting greener by the day. His legs are quite often brought up, but he was like that when I breast fed too. But he's generally a happy boy and otherwise seems healthy. Did you end up changing formulas and did your bubs poop stay green?? Help!!

My son was breastfeed in the beginning, but he suffers from reflux and lactose intolerance so I ended up formula feeding. I tried probably about 4 different types of formula on him till I found he was more comfortable on goats milk. When he was on the lactose-free gold formula he started to get really dark green poo and then eventually he started to get constipated so I switched. I think if his poo his looking really dark green and he seems to be uncomfortable I would try something else, and most people agree that the gold varieties tend to have slightly higher levels of iron than others. I hope this has helped a little bit.
Sign in to follow this topic