Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Breastfeeding and Windy Baby

Breastfeeding and Windy Baby Lock Rss

Hi All,

I am breastfeeding my first baby (she is 4 weeks old). I have found that she is getting a huge amount of wind and it is keeping her awake at night and sometimes during the day too.

Is it colic? Is this due to her not latching on properly?

I was told by the ABA that breastfeed babies don't get wind and that colic is rare too... I have found this to be untrue.....

Mandy, VIC, Mum of Hayley Born 02.06.05

HI
Im breastfeeding baby no 2 and they do get 'wind'. Colic is generally a non specific term for pain. When feeding bub, try to stop after 10 minutes and give them a burp. Then continue the feed. Even just sitting baby upright for a minute or two will help. Also keep baby upright for 10 minutes after the feed to help their stomach settle.

If she wasnt latching on properly, you would notice other signs, poor weight gain, sore nipples etc.

Remember too that a breastfed baby needs to feed a lot, Sometimes every two hours until they are quite old. Maybe she is still hungry too.

Hope this helps. Good luck with bub.

Jeanie

Jeanie, QLD, toddler girl and boy and pregnant

I had the same problem and I used Infacol or you could use infants friend or something similar to help with the wind

Amanda and Oscar (22 Feb 05)

Hello libby8,

I know how you feel with your baby having colic and just to reassure you that breastfed babies do definitely get colic! My now 5 month old baby had bad colic and used to be up for hours screaming...(she still gets wind now but her digestive system has matured enough for her to get rid of it quickly instead of taking hours and hours when she was younger)

Anyway due to Claire's colic I took her to the paediatrician and he gave me a few tips which helped manage it. Unfortunately time is the only cure but the following tips from the paediatrician did help me so thought I would share it with you..

1. Breastfeed for 20 minutes approx depending on how fast your flow is ( apparently this reduces the chance of taking in wind and I was told that the baby gets all the milk they need in that time)

2. Don't feed under 3 hours. If wants to feed earlier than this offer boiled water.

3. Burp for 10 minutes after feed

4. Elevate head of cot.. I put some padding under the mattress and elevated it slightly which helped as Claire couldn't stand lying straight on back when had colic)

5. I gave Infacol before each breastfeed which helped. I initially tried gripe water but didn't seem strong enough)

The early childhood nurses at the baby clinic didn't seem to agree with this and was encouraging me to breastfeed my baby for longer each feed but Claire was quite satisfied after feeding for the shorter period of time and it really helped her wind.. As the paediatrician said the wind was effecting her sleeping as she was so restless so it was the best thing for her..

Sorry about the essay...

Hope this helps... Let me know how you go.. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask..

By the way Congratulations on the birth of your baby!!

8 month baby girl

hi,
when my baby was 4weeks to about 3months he would always have wind! and it would bother him all the time. Just be patient. I found that sometimes not patting him on the back, and letting him sit for a couple of minutes would help more than if i was to pat him on the back.
mumsgroup.tk for baby weekly specials

mumsgroup.tk -Kayden 31.1.05 & Tianah 25.8.06

Sign in to follow this topic