Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Sterilising Bottles Rss

My daughter is 8 months old tommorow. When can I stop sterilising her bottles?

Kerrie

Kerrie,NZ,

Most people recommend sterilising for 12 months. However, there are plenty of people that don't do it that long and have no problem.

I used to always ask what the point was when babies start to put things in their mouths and crawl on the floor much earlier than 12 months.
Hi Kerrie,
If you are using bottles for milk/formula feeds, then it is important to wash thoroughly and sterilise the bottles as any milk/formula remnants in the bottle can grow bacteria and in turn cause baby to get sick.

however, if you are only using bottles for water then i agree it's not necessary as babies do put things in their mouth and crawl on the floor well before they are 12 months old.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

hi I stopped sterilising my daughters bottles at 6 months and shes never been sick but i do make sure i wash them throughly in clean hot soapy water and rince them everytime and use boiled water to make up her formula.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

I just replied to something that came up at clinic the other day and this did too. Our nurse recommends that as soon as baby can pick things up with a pincer grip (finger and thumb) stop sterilising. Of course you still need to wash thoroughly!! They recommend this now to ensure that babies are coming into contact with germs and building up good, strong immune systems and also because at this stage things we never want to think about like cockroaches will be going in the mouth!

Karen, mum to Gabrielle 1/9/03, #2 edd 24/8/05

Hi,
I breastfed all my kids until between 7-9 months, but once they went onto a cup for their milk, I stopped sterilising, but I do wash in very ht soapy water, then rinse with cold purified water. My kids have never been sick due to not sterilising.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

We stopped sterilising bottles at six months. We put everything in the dishwasher and then use boiled water to make up his formula. Joshua has not been sick. Its much easier on us now. It takes little time at all each morning to prepare his bottles. We don't have to wait for the steriliser to finish and cool down. But really its what each parent feels most comfortable with.
Sign in to follow this topic