Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. At what age do yo intoduce solids????

At what age do yo intoduce solids???? Rss

I know they now say that you should not start your baby on solids until they are 6 months, however i have started to feed my 4 month old a very small amount of Farex mixed with my breast milk late afternoon as he was still waking every 2-3 hours for a feed during the night....am i a bad mother for introducing solids so early? I have been doing this for the past 4 days and he has had no problems that i have noticed and he seems to really enjoy the Farex.
Hi Laura
No I don't think you are a bad mother at all I think that you are a great mum and the fact that you are seeking info is proof that you are a great mum, i do think it is wise of you to question giving your bub food so early.
I personally did not start solids with any of my 3 bubs until well over 6 mths my daughter was actually almost 8mths, my youngest is just gone 7 mths and he has had 3teaspoons of pumpkin over the last week or so. I am not sure if you are trying to fully breastfeed or not but you may find it useful to to know that your breastmilk is all your baby needs nutrionally for at least the first 6 months and then solid foods should be introduced slowly from 6 months to "complement" the breastmilk. The other thing is if you are filling your bubs tummy up on solids then it may make him/her less likely to suckle and rather than fill up on milk he/she will fill up on solids. Your breasts work on the principle of supply and demand so the more milk your baby takes the more milk your breasts will make so if you are feeding your bubs solids too often this may cause supply issues.

That aside if I were you I would seriously look into the risks associated with feeding babies solids too early like the increased risk of allergies later on. Also as adults digestion problems can be linked back to early introduction of solids. You can't see inside their tummies but they are not designed to digest food at such a young age. I will try and find some links for you and post them here for you to look at.

I know you said you wanted bub to sleep more but sometimes this is a myth anyway, also would you want to get a good night sleep at the risk of having bubs have something wrong on the inside.

I will find some links and get back to you.

Wear your baby out!!!

I fed my son farex from 6 weeks of age (yes, it was what they did in the old days)

He is fit, healthy and is never sick. and i mean never.

DD is 6 mnths and isn't interested at all, I try her every day and get some into her.

I started my little one of fairex at 4 months old at night time - she just seemed to want to eat - she tried to grab the things that we were eating had the mouth chewing movement going on - now she is 6 months old and she is eating different vegetables mixed together at night time and has fairex and fruit in the morning - she is happier and happy baby happy mummy!!!
I started my little one of fairex at 4 months old at night time - she just seemed to want to eat - she tried to grab the things that we were eating had the mouth chewing movement going on - now she is 6 months old and she is eating different vegetables mixed together at night time and has fairex and fruit in the morning - she is happier and happy baby happy mummy!!!
i started my little one on fairex over the weekend (she is 4 mths) and she loved it and wanted more!!! i tried her with apple this afternoon and she loved it too!! i think you know when your baby is ready to start trying new food. i know Madison is happy trying new things cause i always get a smile with every mouth full

Amanda

Hi,

I started Karl on farex at 4months and then fruit and vege purees at 6 months. Dont put yourself down myself and plenty of other mums have started before 6months. As long as he is happy and healthy you are doing the right thing.

Jenni and Karl
Hi Amanda,

Its so cute when they grin at you when you are feeding them and even better when you are trying something new. Its really funny when they screw their face up and spit flying the solids they dont like. LOL.

Karl spat his peas tonight, although he ate them last night. what a kid.

Jenni and Karl
i started deena on farex at night when she was 3mths. she is now 4mths and has farex in the morning and vegies or fruit mixed with farex at night smile
Sign in to follow this topic