Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

I didnt know what to do Lock Rss

yesterday i started weaning my daughter off the breast. I dont want to but she kills me when she bites me with her teeth. Shes nearly 7months. Today at her 4pm bottle feed she cried so hard that she turned red and she started crying tears and was so upset that she was having a hard time breathing so i just gave in and breast feed her. I need some help i dunno what to do what are your experiences and any tips? Im using NAN GOLD formula

Karen - Jasmine 14/1/05 & Damon 31/1/07

Karen, this isn't probably what you want to hear, but my breastfeeding babies would never take a bottle. My first I weaned at about the same age as your bub, actually she weaned herself, and for the next 6 months it was a struggle to get milk into her. It was awful. From 12 months she didn't drink milk at all. 2 of the others I breastfed for 15 months and am still feeding the nearly 16 month old. My 3rd child I switched to a bottle at 1 month when they are still easy to switch. There is no guarantee that an older breastfed baby will switch to a bottle. I would suggest looking at ways to work through the biting issue. Australian Breastffeding assoc helpline would be good for that. My bub now has 16 teeth and he used to bite but we got through it. It's just a stage and you learn the signs for when they're about to bite and take them off. Don't yell at them 'cause they freak out and refuse to feed at all (learnt that from experience!)

Good luck

Tania

Tania, NSW - Mum to 4, Number 5 due Feb 07

Hi Karen,

If it makes you feel better my breastfed daughter initially wouldn't take the bottle but through persistance eventually took it...
I went through several different teats and the only one she will take is the pigeon peristaltic Nipple.. The teat seems to be soft and breastfed babies tend to take to it...

Hope this helps and good luck!!

8 month baby girl

If you can't work through the biting (which I am sure you have tried) and she still won't take the bottle, why don't you think about trying to wean straight onto a cup? Apparently even newborns can be tought to drink from a cup rather than a bottle. Just a thought...

Logan 03/05/05 Lily 06/11/06

Sign in to follow this topic