Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

When to give baby water Lock Rss

I was just wondering when it is OK to start giving baby water and how this affects their normal feeding pattern. I have a 5 and a half month old and she has just started solids. I gave her a sippy cup with water last night and she seemed to like it.
hi, you should give your bub a drink of water when she has her solids. when bubs eat thicker solids it makes them thirsty. my bub is 11 months and i give her a drink with her solids and also when she wakes up from her 2 daytime naps. hope this helps and good luck!
also if she does like water dont give her too much juice or she will just want the juice and not the water!

Kelly, NSW, Caleb born 3/10/00, Hannah born 21/8/0

Hi Jana

I would give a little sip of water after a feed when my bubs was about 2mths. He is now 7mths and enjoys water and takes a few tablespoons now! I don't see anything wrong with water.. I heard it helps strengthen their teeth as well cos' of fthe fluoride?
Hi Kidniebean,

The nurses in the hospital told me not to feed my daugher water when she was born because it wasnt neccessary as I was breastfeeding although I was encourage to do so by relatives.

I started feeding my daughter warm water when she was about 2 weeks old after each feed and I found it to be very helpful when I started to feed her solids. She is 12 months now and drank water since at a young age (she loves her water) and only been constipated 2 times (other bubs I know that dont drink as much have more)

Water is good for your daughter and since she is eating now, helps her wash down her food and also prevent constipation (not very comfy for them!!) Also is she teething? She might or not soon but when she does it helps to keep her teeth clean too after each meal and feed because it wash away the food. So as you can see there are more advantages then disadvantages.

Take care,

Phoenix
my doctor told me i could give water right from the begining as long as it was boiled.
To start them on water though, they wont like it so you add a little bit of sugar to it - althought brown sugar is much better for them than white sugar (digestion is better with brown)

mumsgroup.tk -Kayden 31.1.05 & Tianah 25.8.06

Sign in to follow this topic