Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. I know this might be controversial but...

I know this might be controversial but... Rss

Hi everyone,

You might find this of interest:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22508706-2862,00.html

Here are some bits from the article:

"The research, led by Dr Melanie Matheson from the university's School of Population Health, found exclusive breastfeeding of babies with a family history of allergies increased the babies' risk of developing asthma, eczema or food allergies in the long-term."

" Babies with a family history of allergies who were exclusively breastfed in the first three months had a reduced risk of developing asthma or food allergies by the age of seven, the study found.

However the risk reversed as they got older and by the time they reached 14, 32 and 44 years of age they were at increased risk of asthma, food allergies and asthma. "

Now I agree with the Australian Breastfeeding Associations comments that one study does not rewrite everything but it does show that science is always changing and challenging and that we should not get too caught up in it.

I'm sure that this may make people who formula feed feel better about their decision, however nobody can disagree with the fact that breast is best.

Thanks for sharing that Henrysmum. I agree with you that sometimes we tend to get too caught up in the scientific side of things (and I don't just mean with BF - our society seems to do it with everything! lol).

Breast milk is obviously preferable for a lot of reasons, but there are other factors that may mean is not necessarily 'best' in every situation.

I guess its just important to keep in mind that it is not the be-all and end-all. If you can't BF, it is not the end of the world. Your child will not automatically be condemned to a life of ill-health.

There will always be arguments for/against both BF and FF - what's "best" for your situation can only be determined by you.

This is also true of many other parenting issues.
[Edited on 07/07/2008]
Sign in to follow this topic