Huggies Forum

How do I prepare for breastfeeding? Lock Rss

Hi!

I'm just wondering how I can 'toughen' up my nipples in preparation for breatfeeding. This will be my 5th baby, and I have never successfullt breastfeed before. It usually gets so painful (like boiling water and glass coming out!) that I give up. My babies have always been correctly latched on.
I have heard there are ways to prepare your nipples, using wool fat during pregnancy was one. What would this product be called? Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jo
Hi Jo,
Thank you for your enquiry. To prepare your nipples it is recommended that you have time without a bra, you hand express some of the colostrum regularly (at least X2 daily) this is present in your breasts from 20 weeks, and that you then rub the colostrum into the nipples and allow to dry. This helps you become more aware of what your breasts are doing and how to get the milk flowing. If you have had a bad experience before, you may have similar problems again. The pain that you are describing can be associated with thrush in the breast. To treat this problem (it usually occurs after birth) you use an oral gel in the baby’s mouth (available from a pharmacist) as well as on your nipples. It usually takes a few days to feel better and it may reoccur. Many women that experience thrush in the breast describe it as very painful but once treated, the pain disappears. When a baby is correctly attached to the breast it shouldn’t be painful, however most women feel the strong pulling sensation as the baby draws the nipple into the back of the throat this is normal. It is not recommended to use any creams on your nipples to help toughen the nipples as these tend to soften rather than toughen. When your milk supply is being established, try to air your nipples as often as practical and don’t rush to contain your breasts in a restrictive bra with soggy breast pads. Good luck in giving it another go.
Best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic