Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Group B Strep Rss

My doctor has just given me a course of antibiotics because I have tested positive for Group B Strep. I'm only 7 weeks pregnant but have been told that I will have to have IV antibiotics during labour to prevent infection of the baby.

Does this mean that as soon as my labour starts I will have to go to the hospital and be hooked up to the drip?

Mum to Caitlin & Owain

Hi,
I had the same and I was given the injection when I got close to the end of labour. It is there to protect the baby as it moves down the birth canal.

Renee,NSW. Olivia 17/8/2005

Hi there, i was tested for group B strep at 24 weeks during a hospital visit and was positive,My Gp and hospital midwife informed me that I would be given antibiotics as soon as my water breaks so if your waters break and you at home etc you must go straight to hospital then.I was in labour for four hours before my waters broke I went to hospital after two hours just to be sure and then three hours later they gave me antibiotics in drip and broke my waters to hurry things along as baby was showing signs of distress. you need to have the antibiotics every 4 hours when in labour if you go that long I needed two doses and for my own peace of mind I reminded them before they broke my water and after the next four hours. I hope this helps you out sorry for such long reply smile. Feel free to ask about it any more if you need to

Tys mummy qld

Hi,
Many doctors treat Group B Strep differently and some don’t even test for it. If you are being treated for it you will be given IV antibiotics during labour. This means that you need at least one dose of antibiotic. This can be given quite close to when the baby is born but it is best that you check with your doctor as to how early he would like you to have the antibiotic. This will give you a better indication as to when you should be at the hospital. Usually a cannula only is inserted so that you don’t have to have a drip connected. You can still shower and mobilize with a cannula.
Best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic