Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

VBAC Rss

Hi,

I would love some feedback on VBAC's with expert and experience advice please.

I had my baby boy almost 11 months ago, we do plan to start trying for another baby later on in the year.
I had an emergency c sec and would love to try a natural birth.

my story: i started with irregular contractions, they got regular then irregular again...was in my 42nd week by the way, so this started sunday and i was due to be induced tuesday if nothing happen, i was in & out of hosp sunday and they finally admitted me monday arvo, but still very slow progress, reached 6cm though, nothing happened, tuesday avo they broke my waters, still only 7cm, then they induced, 6 hrs later still 8cm wed morning, so they did the c sec, no distress baby mind you.

I believe i should have stayed home longer, is this what you think?
can you shed soem more lite as to what i could have done or could do next time round...
jsut general advice please anyone.

Thanks
Ekki

Ekki, NSW, Baby Boy 20/4/05

Hi Ekki,
Thank you for your enquiry and for sharing your story. Sometimes a long slow labour can occur for a couple of reasons. The first is that it is your body’s way of saying that the baby is not going to fit, that is, the size of your pelvis may be too small. The second reason could have been that your body became very tired from the prolonged labour and stopped working effectively, this means the labour didn’t progress. In your case it could have been either of these things or a combination. When a woman has her first baby it can take a long time for the labour to establish. It is advised that during this time a woman tries to continue as normally as possible and to eat, exercise and rest. Quite often this does not happen and the woman becomes quite tired and her body then suffers.
It is great that you have experienced labour as this will help you for next time. It may be best to discuss your experience with your health professional so that they can access your records to determine if there may have been another reason or if you need some further investigations (such as checking the size of your pelvis). It is very possible that you will be able to have a vaginal birth next time. If your Doctor rules it out you can always get a second opinion and many birth centres happily accept previous caesarian women.
Best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.

Sign in to follow this topic