Huggies Forum

Post Partum Sex Lock Rss

I have a 2 week old baby (our third child) and am keen to resume "relations" with my husband.

I had a little grazing but have suffered no pain at all from the delivery. My bleeding is getting less but the placenta was incomplete on delievery and I had a few clots during the first week. Also when I insert a finger I can feel my cervix quiet low in my vagina where during pregnancy it was quiet high - I have been doing my kegal exercises, will this right itself with time?. How soon is too soon to resume sex? Will it increase risk of infection if the bleeding hasn't stopped?

I will be going to my doctor for the 6 week checkup but dont want to wait that long?

Thanks.

Hayley, NSW, Liam 07/02, Beth 09/04, Nate 03/06

Hi,
Thank you for your enquiry. Congratulations on the birth of your child. It sounds as if you are doing all the right things. You cervix and uterus return to the pre pregnancy size and position at around six weeks following birth and this is why most carers offer a check up at this time. It is important to continue the pelvic floor exercises as much as you can as this helps everything get back in to shape. You can resume sex at any time that you feel comfortable as it doesn’t increase the risk of infection at all. You may find that your vagina is a bit drier than normal as a lot of the vaginal mucous has not yet returned so the use of a lubricant may be beneficial. Also don’t forget contraception!
Best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic