Huggies Forum

diabetes during pregnancy Lock Rss

Hi

i am 23 years old and this is my third pregnancy. I was diagnosed with diabetes in november last year. I am 13 weeks. I know what affects high blood sugar levels can affect a baby but what if i am having a lot of low sugars (like 2.5)? How will it affect the babys growth and development? I am aslo very worried about having a c section. I opted for one as my first childs heartbeat dropped to less then 70 beats per minute and my second child was not breathing and his heart had stopped, it took a while for the doctors to revive him. Which one is better when considering pain relief, Epidural or a spinal block? How Do they differ?

Yasmine 6, Edward 2, Jacob 5 months

Hi,
Thank you for your enquiry. It sounds as if your diabetes is well controlled. If you have any queries or concerns about your condition or diet it is best discussed with your carers as they can see your full medical history. As for the anaesthesia – it is mainly a doctor’s preference as to which one they offer and both are effective pain relievers. The spinal goes into the spinal fluid and the epidural goes into the space outside the spinal fluid.
Best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic