Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Partial Epidural ???? Lock Rss

I was wondering if you could help me out ?
When i gave birth to my son i had what i have been refering to as a 'partial epidural'. I was not completely numb, i could still move my legs around but it significantly reduced my pain to the point where i could not feel the 'burning' sensation that i have heard about when the head crowns and could barely feel my contractions.
When i have my next child i will be delivering at a different hospital so i am wondering what the medical term for this type of epidural is so if i want to have an epidural next time around i will know what type to ask for !

Any help would be greatly appreciated !


Declan 7/12/04 & Taryn 25/4/07

Hi Sarah,
This type of epidural is called a walking epidural, it is really only offered by doctors who are proficient at these type of epidurals. So this may not be available in another hospital. Try to look at other forms of pain relief such as walking and warm baths and showers. You may find that second time around your labour will progress very well and you may be able to hold out and not need an epidural. Epidurals often lead to higher levels of intervention and forceps rates as they affect the contractions, so midwives really only recommend them as a last resort.
Best wishes,

<a href="">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.

Sign in to follow this topic