Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

dating scan shows sac and yolk but no baby Lock Rss

I had a dating scan yesterday and the technician says i am 5.5 weeks along according to the yolk and sac size, but cannot tell me my due date because she could not yet see the baby. She told me its normal not to see the baby until after 6 weeks. Is this true? Should i be worried or not?

Clare-WA, Brodie 17.12.04, Lauren 13.12.06, Holly

I went with my mate in Jan for a dating scan and she was in the same position. They originally thought she would be about 8 weeks along, due to high blood results. She had an internal done as external showed nothing. The internal showed what the radiographer stated was 'the start of something' but could still only be yolk/sack.

Happy to report she is currently 21 weeks along gasp) So chin up mate, it is the way she got told too, 6 weeks minimum before they really start to see things!! Good luck

Mckenzie Cate 28/7/04 & Lexi Breanne 10/5/07

Hi Clare

i would not be concerned i had the same thing with this pregnancy because i fell pregnant while still breastfeeding my first i did not have any idea on dates when i went for my 1st ultrasound i was 5 weeks and 2 days and all they could see was the sac i am now 20 wks pregnant and have just had my 19 week scan and seen a happy and healthy baby.

so don't get to worried maybe you could talk to your doctor about another scan or wait until 12 weeks
good luck

Jess 2005, Steph 2006, Chris 2008 and Olly 2009

Hi,
Thank you for your enquiry. Early scans are very difficult as the baby is not formed and is very well protected. If you have reliable LMP dates this is a better thing to go from. Early ultrasounds should only really be used if there is a problem.
Best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic