Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Feeding only from Expressing Lock Rss

Hi Alex,

Bubby is one week and I had such a hard time with attatching whilst in hospital and when I got home. I tried the nipple guards with a little success but mostly, feeding would result in an agitated bubby, an agitated mummy and then he would get windy from crying and frustrated from not being able to attatch. It would take hours and I worried he was not having enough milk.

Anyway, we bought a pump and now when he needs feeding I express around 60 - 80 ml and feed him with it straight away. It has eliminated the stress factor and he seems happy and full.

My question is....Is this ok, or if not what problems will I encounter in the future, will my milk dry up?? Because now the engorgement bit is over it is actually taking longer to express but I'm still getting the quantity.

Also does he still get the goodness of my breast milk if it's been expressed earlier in the day and re heated for him?
Hi,
Thank you for your enquiry. It is great that you are persisting with breast feeding as this is the best for you and your baby. If you intend breast feeding long term, you need to try to get the baby to attach to the breast as soon as possible as sucking on the breast is different from a bottle. Try to get some extra help from your local consultants from the Australian Breastfeeding Association. If your breasts don’t receive any direct stimulation from your baby it more than likely will affect your supply. Plus it is a lot of work expressing and then feeding a baby – it is a lot quicker doing it directly. You could firstly start to offer the baby to the breast once he has had some expressed milk and has calmed down a bit but is still hungry. This gives you both a bit more time to learn to attach. If you can’t attach directly try the nipple shield for a little while to help. It is also not advisable to use a shield long term. Breast milk is still far superior to formula even if it is reheated (to room temp). There may be some vitamin loss but it is not significant.
Good luck & best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic