Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Missed Miscarriage Lock Rss

Hi Alex,
I had a missed miscarriage about 4 years ago now, I know that it is a fairly rare occurance and just wondered what the odds would be of it happening to me again.
With my missed miscarriage it was discovered when i was about 10 weeks that the baby had died at 5 weeks but the sac and everything was still growing and was the size it would have been at 10 weeks, at around 12 weeks they went in and got it. One of the main things I noticed about that pregnancy was that I had started to feel really sick but at around the same time the baby died I started to feel absolutly fine. I have had one successful pregnancy since then and have had one regular miscarriage about 5 months ago. I am currently pregnant again (I am just over 6 weeks) and I don't really feel that sick at all, I guess i'm just a bit worried that maybe it is another missed miscarriage but then maybe i'm just being stupid. Some stats on a missed miscarriage would be great. Thankyou.

Mama to some beautiful babies - Kynan and Tayah

Hi,
Thank you for your enquiry. A ‘missed miscarriage’ is in fact the cause of 50% to 60% of all first trimester miscarriages. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to prevent it.
For women in childbearing years, the chances of having miscarriage can range from 10-25%, and in most healthy women the average is about 15-20% chance.
• An increase in maternal age changes the chances of miscarriage
• Women under the age of 35 yrs old have about a 15% chance of miscarriage
• Women aged 35-45 yrs old have a 20-35% chance of miscarriage
• Women over the age of 45yrs old can have up to a 50% chance of miscarriage
• A woman who has had a previous miscarriage has a 25% chance of having another (only a slightly elevated risk than for someone who has not had a previous miscarriage)

A 'missed miscarriage' is when the baby dies but the woman's cervix stays closed, there is no bleeding and the baby continues to stay inside the uterus. Some people also refer to this as a 'silent miscarriage'. A missed miscarriage is not usually discovered until several days or weeks after the baby has died. The baby does not grow and the size of the woman's uterus does not increase. Some women will notice that their pregnancy signs (tender breasts, nausea, tiredness etc.) disappear, but others will continue to 'feel pregnant' if the placental tissue continues to release hormones into their system (including the hormone that makes a pregnancy test turn 'positive'). A few women will not experience as many early pregnancy discomforts (which can be normal) making their physical changes harder to detect. In many cases, the woman will believe that her pregnancy is progressing, as her body continues to carry the baby, not recognising or reacting to the loss.

After several days or weeks, the woman may start to notice a brownish vaginal discharge as the baby and placenta begin to degenerate. Occasionally, the first sign will be a bright red vaginal blood loss, because the miscarriage is becoming 'inevitable' with possibly some cramping and 'period-like' pain. If an ultrasound is performed, it will show that the baby is much smaller than expected for the stage of pregnancy, with no heartbeat present.

Once the baby dies with a missed miscarriage, they start to shrink at the same rate they would have grown had the pregnancy progressed normally. For example, if the baby died at 12 weeks and the miscarriage was found at 14 weeks, the baby usually shrinks to about a 10 week size. The person performing the ultrasound will usually be able to establish approximately when your baby died.

Try not to worry too much. Sometimes pregnancy symptoms are a little delayed and every pregnancy is different. Hopefully everything this time will be fine.
Best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.

I also had a missed miscarriage about 5 years ago after having 2 complete miscarriages. I was also 10 weeks and had had no bleeding or pain. I found out when we went for an ultrasound and no heartbeat was found, the baby had died at 5 weeks. That night I had a D & C. I have since had a healthy baby boy who is now 4 yrs old and currently 8 weeks and 2 days pregnant after 18 mths of trying. I had a slight spot at 5 weeks with a few pains then it disappeared. Dr said it was normal and as long as there was no further bleeding then not to worry. But I have worried for the past 3 weeks that I had lost my baby again, I know you can lose a baby and have no bleeding! I felt myself detaching and getting more numb, preparing myself for the news. We went for an ultrasound 2 days ago and I held my breathe waiting for those words. Only to be told there was a strong heartbeat and bubs was perfect size for 8wks. I cried so much, I had convinced myself that I'd had another missed miscarriage. What a surprise. But I'm still very nervous, I know I'm not safe yet. I felt for you when I read your story and I believe that a missed miscarriage is harder to deal with than a complete one, at least with that you get a warning sign that all may not be well when you bleed. I wish you all the best in the rest of your pregnancy and try to stay positive!

Daniy, VIC

Sign in to follow this topic