Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Corpus Luteal Cyst Lock Rss

At my NT ultrasound it was found that I have a 19mm corpus luteal cyst on my left ovary. I was told it's very common and nothing to be concerned about. I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant and have had occasional light spotting (with no abdominal pains) since 7 weeks. Could this possibly be the cause of this spotting and what exactly is this type of cyst?
Hi,
Thank you for your enquiry. An ovarian cyst is something that many women have without knowing as most of the time it causes no symptoms. They are normally small, which means that you may not even know you have one until a routine examination picks it up. However, some are large enough to cause menstrual irregularities or discomfort. A Luteal cyst develops in the second half of the cycle after the egg has been released (at ovulation). As soon as ovulation has taken place in a normal cycle, the ruptured follicle then develops into the corpus luteum which produces progesterone in anticipation of a pregnancy. If the egg is not fertilised, the corpus luteum withers, progesterone levels fall and a period occurs. A luteal cyst is formed when the corpus luteum fails to wither when it should, and fills with blood instead.
This type of cyst doesn’t normally cause problems during pregnancy but it can cause spotting during ovulation in between menstruation as hormone levels change. It may be the cause of your spotting but any bleeding in pregnancy is regarded as abnormal and should be investigated to rule out possible complications.
Best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic