Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

How dangerous is Whooping cough? Lock Rss

Hi Im almost 28 pregnant & my 13 year old foster son has bought home a note from school saying that a child has been dignosed with this.
My 13 year old has not been immunised nor have i ( both my other children are upto date).
What risk is there that whooping cough can harm my unborn baby & what if anything can i do to avoid getting it?
please help me Im really worried.
Thank you in advance
Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry. Whooping cough is most dangerous to babies under 6 months but it can still affect older children and adults. It is best that you both visit your GP where you may be offered a ‘booster’ immunisation to try to protect you from contracting the disease. If either of you are unfortunate enough to get Whooping cough it is treated with antibiotics to try to reduce the infectious nature of the disease. It doesn’t have any adverse effects on an unborn baby. The most important thing to be aware of is that if anyone in your family has Whooping cough when the baby is born, you need to notify the hospital so that your baby can be protected.

Best wishes,

Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic