Huggies Forum

I.U.G.R Lock Rss

I am currently pregnant with my 4th child. My last 2 pregnancies I had I.U.G.R. My 2nd weighing 2.4 kg and my 3rd weighing 2.2 kg. What are my chances of this happening again? I always ate healthily during my pregnancies I also had to have a c-section with my 3rd due to his size and he was breech the midwives thought that he wouldn't of coped with labour due to his size.

Can I labour this time if I have another small one or do i have no choice but to have a c-section?

It does become a worry for me during the pregnancy plus with the size they have to go into the special care nursery to ensure weight gain which isn't much fun.

Karen, 2 girls, 1 boy and 1 due edd 23.10.07

Hi,
Thank you for your enquiry. There is a much higher chance of this baby having IUGR too. You and your baby will be closely monitored during pregnancy, including the baby’s growth. If there is any sign that the baby is suffering then a decision is usually made whether it may be best for the baby to be born earlier. This depends on how severely reduced the baby’s growth is. If the baby is close to term then you will more than likely have a vaginal birth as the baby would cope with the labour. If you baby does develop more complications and have to be born prematurely then they may opt for a caesarean. Your previous babies’ weights were not too low so there is a lower risk of this baby developing severe problems with IUGR.
Best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Hi
I have some questions regarding IUGR.
My baby was born at 34 wks by c-cection. Weighing 1556gms.
He had to be on CPAP for 4 days and was in SCN for 4 weeks. He is fine now and has met all his milestones.
I want to know what the chances are of having another IUGR baby?
Is there anything that i can do help avoid it?
Thanks for your help
[Edited on 10/05/2007]

Joel 15mths and a chatterbox

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry. There are a few known causes for IUGR and sometimes they can’t find a reason. High blood pressure, smoking and taking drugs are known causes. If you have had an IUGR baby without cause, you still have an increased chance of having another. Try to be as healthy as you can, eat well, exercise regularly and have some blood tests early to check for any problems there.

Best wishes,
Alex.

NSW Midwives Association
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic