Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

swollen Lock Rss

Hi

This is going to sound strange and I am a little embarassed for asking but the last couple of days i have noticed that the lips of my vagina are quite swollen ( similar to how they get after having sex)..

they aren't sore, jsut swollen. I am currentl 30 weeks pregnant and have the flu. Could the flu have something to do with it?

Sorry for asking?

Regards
Ulanda

mummaof3

Hi Ulanda,

Thank you for your enquiry. It is quite common for your labia (the ‘lips’) to become slightly swollen in pregnancy. It can be due to a few of things; firstly during pregnancy your circulation increases to this area which tends to cause the blood vessels to increase in size, secondly, you may also develop some oedema in this area as fluid accumulates here particularly later in pregnancy (similar to swelling ankles), and thirdly some people can develop varicose veins in the vulva which causes swelling and some ‘purpling’ of the area. You may have one or more of these causes for the swelling but you mention no particular discolouring so it may be just the first two instances. This is no cause for concern; however, you should mention it to your health care provider so that it can be checked. Varicose veins of the vulva can cause considerable discomfort and there is a danger of them bleeding as they tend to be close to the surface.

If you currently have the flu, this is not related to the swelling but coughing and sneezing for prolonged periods can affect your bladder, so make sure that you do regular pelvic floor exercises.

Best wishes,

Alex

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>

Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic