Huggies Forum

What is worse for the baby??? Lock Rss

I am really stressing near the end of this pregnancy, I understand I don't have long to go but it is all getting to me. About 4 weeks ago I thought I was in labour, I had 15 hours of contractions that were regular and got to 6 minutes apart and then suddenly stopped ... I felt kind of ripped off because I felt it was the real thing and then after all of that pain I had no baby in my arms. In the next few weeks lots was happening, my dates kept being changed, they would tell me I was overdue and should go in for Post Dates but then would say they couldn't fit me in because of the public holiday they were too busy ... my dates have ranged from 22nd April to 29th April and today I went in to day stay and was told when I made the appointment being 9 days over they would dicuss inducing probably the next day ... well I got there today and they monitored me and talked about inducing then went away and decided my dates were wrong and the EDD should be 1st May so I was only 7 days over and I have to go back in Friday ... they will not induce because of the risks involved ... what is worse for the baby...the slight risks associated with inducing or the fact that I am a blubbering mess and can't handle this anymore? I am constantly crying for no reason and have no appetite, my pelvis hurts all the time ... I know it is only another week to wait, but I have now been waiting just one more week for 3 weeks ... how do I know when I go in Friday they won't try tell me my dates are wrong again?

Lisa - Tyler (06/05), Emily (05/07)

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your enquiry. I am sorry for what you are experiencing at this time. Late in pregnancy you do feel like you have had enough and just want the baby OUT. I know it is hard to understand but your carers are trying to do the best for you and your baby. Being induced is quite an invasive procedure and many that have been induced don’t enjoy the sudden and severe labour that can happen during the induction. If you go into labour naturally, it happens gradually so that you can get accustomed to the pain and are able to cope much better. The baby also manages much better due to the gradual nature of natural labour. Try not to get too upset and take lots of long regular walks, warm baths and plenty of sex to bring the labour closer.

Best wishes,
Alex.

NSW Midwives Association
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic