Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Group B Strep Lock Rss

Hi
I had a vaginal and Anal swab for Group B Strep, the result came back positive. I have been doing a fair bit of reading up on this and although the numbers of Newborns being infected with this is of a low percentage I am still concerned about this. I am 38 weeks pregnant.
With antibiotics given to me during labour, will this reduce the risk of my baby getting this.
I am scared that I will pass this on to my baby and he will become very ill from it.
Any feedback would be great.
Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry. Group B Strep is often routinely screened for late in pregnancy so that treatment during labour can be planned to try to avoid the risk of a baby being infected during birth. The incidence of infection is relatively low but there is some thought that treatment during labour (via intravenous antibiotics) may help prevent a baby being infected with Group B Strep. According to research, intrapartum (during labour) antibiotic treatment of women colonized with group B strep appears to reduce neonatal infection.

Out of every 1,000 newborns, one to four will contract group B streptococcal infection (GBS) from their mothers during birth, although the rate is declining in Australian maternity hospitals. This reduction is believed to be due to preventative screening programs in these hospitals.
Some people are a carrier, which means they harbour or 'colonise' the bacteria but don't show any symptoms of the infection. Common sites on the body where GBS may colonise include the vagina, bladder, the rectal (anal or back) passage and throat.
Infection is usually short term. It is thought that around 12 to 15 per cent of Australian pregnant women carry GBS in their vagina. About one or two per cent of babies born to these carriers will develop GBS disease. The risk of GBS infection is higher among premature babies.

The good news is that you are aware of the presence of GBS so that treatment can be planned and this will substantially reduce the risk of your baby developing the disease. The risk of your baby developing this illness is extremely low especially if you are treated during labour.

Best wishes,

Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>

Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic