Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Anti Cardiolipin Antibodies (long) Lock Rss

Hi I'm 7 weeks pregnant and have just had some blood test results come back saying I have Anti Cardiolipin Antibodies.
I already have a son who is almost 2 and prior to conceiving him I had 3 miscarriages. Although with my son's pregnancy the results showed up negative.
What is this condition and what does it mean for my pregnancy.
The OB. told me my level was at 20 and that anything under 20 was negative.
I've also been on Cartia (low dose asprin) since I was 5 weeks and was also on this for my son's pregnancy as a precaution, re my previous miscarriages.
I did have an ultra sound done today but all that showed up was the yolk sac and I need to go back in 9 days for another one. I'm concerned that the antibodies are causing the baby growth to slow. I'm desperate for some positive information, as I've heard it is possible to carry to full term and deliver a healthy baby. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Lynette.
Hi Lynette,

Thank you for enquiry. There are a number of antibodies that can show up in an antibody screen and this is one of them. In pregnancy, the main concern is the Anti D antibody that can cause problems if a mother is Rhesus negative and her baby is Rhesus positive and the mother has developed Rhesus antibodies from previous exposure to Rhesus positive blood. The antibodies can attack the baby and cause problems, such as anaemia in the baby and the baby may need to be given extra blood.

The antibodies that have been found in your blood and to the consequences of them are something that you need to ask your Obstetrician about and even a haematologist as they are the medical experts. I am unaware of the problems that these may cause but it is most usually related to the blood and not to the growth of the baby. If the antibodies are picked up early, the outcomes for mother and baby are more likely to be good as you can be monitored through out your pregnancy.

As to your ultrasound, it is not uncommon to only see a yolk sac at your stage of pregnancy. So try not to worry too much.

All the best,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>

Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.

Sign in to follow this topic