Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Placenta reaching internal OS Lock Rss

Hi

About 3 weeks ago I had my 19wk scan and it showed that my placenta was low lying - the sonographer actually said that part of it was in the birth canal.
When I read the report it said that the placenta reached the internal os and that a repeat scan at 30wks is recommended.
My OBGYN mentioned it breifly at my last visit and said that she does the scan at 34wks.

I have a couple of questions
Firstly (and this is probably a silly question) what exactly is the internal OS?

And can having a low lying placenta be painful. I've been getting a lot of discomfort and pressure particularly down low. I never had this with my first so I don't know if it's to do with that or if it's something else. At times when I get the pain and pressure it actually feels as though the baby's head is engaged - it feels how I did in the last couple of weeks of my first pregnancy.

Thanks
Alicia

Alicia QLD Mum of one Princess & two Princes

Hi Alicia,

Thank you for your enquiry. The internal os is where the uterus meets the vagina (birth canal). So if the placenta reaches this point it is regarded as low lying but it is not over the os so there is a high chance that the placenta will move up the side of the uterus as your uterus grows. Your discomfort is probably not related to the position of the placenta and it is more likely be due to you having had a baby before and your muscles and ligaments are a bit stretched. Try some pelvic floor exercises several times a day for some relief.

Best wishes,
Alex.

NSW Midwives Association
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic