Huggies Forum

Rusks Lock Rss

Hi Leanne,

I am wanting to make my own rusks. I have never seen the ones that you buy.

I have a loaf of bread and am just wondering how long to back the pieces for. How hard are they supposed to be?

Thanks
I bake mine on 150 degrees for about an hour. I put a little bit of vegemite on them first and my son loves them. They get pretty hard (harder than normal cold toast) but no where near as hard as the ones you buy. They break off a bit easier so be careful your bub doesn't choke. I'll look out for Leeanne's response too.
Hi there,

It is in fact hard to find really good teething rusks, I have found a brand called Baby Mum-Mum which look quite good (www.BabyMumMum.com.au) if you want to check them out.

Here is Robin Barkers recipe:
* Preheat oven to 150oC
* Remover crusts from 5 slices of wholemeal bread, cut into fingers, place on tray and bake for about an hour
* Store in airtight container
* Makes about 20.

With the home made ones you do have to watch for them breaking off into smaller pieces as they are likely to be more brittle than the commercial ones.

Hope that helps
Leanne

Cadence Health
‘What do I Feed my Baby? Baby meals and menus’ eBook and Infant and Childhood Nutrition courses
Hi,
i was trying to find a recipe too, and i came across this when i looked for it.

cut the crusts off a slice of wholemeal bread, then roll the bread, put it in the microwave for 1-2 mins(check because each microwave is different)put the join side down. I usually wipe the plate halfway through because it gets a bit wet. When it is hard cool then give to baby. Because it is a solid rusk, i find less breaks off, but still sit with baby beacuse they can still choke.

amy
Sign in to follow this topic