Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sleep Expert - Q&As (Read Only)
  5. 4 month old no longer sleeps thru the nite - Is his dummy sleep prop?

4 month old no longer sleeps thru the nite - Is his dummy sleep prop? Lock Rss

My now 4 month old boy started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks. He has recently stopped and will wake at 2.30 - 4.30 every night, with the worst nights being when he will wake at 12.30 then 1.00 and so on all night.
When this started he wouldnt take a dummy, now he does and I am able to settle him really quickly - put dummy back in and a bit off shhhh- ing and he is back to sleep. He is not hungry when he is is waking. Although it all started before he was taking a dummy I am worried now that he is waking BECAUSE of the dummy - maybe he can't get back to sleep if it falls out?
Why is he waking though? He has been teething though when he wakes in night is not upset at all.
Is this just a phase babies go through?
Should I take the dummy away?
And if I do that should i get rid of it completly or can I use when I'm out and he is tired?
Hi,

The use of a dummy and the loss of it can become a sleep association. You can either remove it just before he falls asleep or just go cold turkey and use settling techniques when he protests. If you are sure he is not hungry then you could try using our settling techniques when he wakes to resettle him. They will teach him to sleep independently and you may not need the dummy even when you are out.

You can get an overview of our settling program from Your Baby’s Sleep section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, It's Time To Sleep DVD&BOOK.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic