Huggies Forum

Night time help Lock Rss

Hi,
I have a 2 week old who is on a good routine during the day, he feeds, plays and sleeps no problems . In the day he goes to bed awake and I allow him to sleep for an hour and a half before I wake him.
The problem I have is night time. At least once a night we go through 2hrs of crying where he won't settle at all. Sometimes the only way to get him to settle is to put him in bed with us and then he sleeps and wakes every 3-4 hrs for a feed which is great and back to normal.
I just don't understand why he can be so great during the day but at night it's the opposite.
I do know that around the 4-6pm time in the afternoon he does like to "sparrow feed" it's like he never has enough and my husband and I believe he has alot of wind built up probably from the sparrow feeding.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Bett, NSW, 2 boys & Twins 19.2.08

Hi,

There is such a lot to learn when you are a mum and knowing the difference in your baby's cry for different needs is difficult at first.

However you can learn this difference and if you know some techniques to settle a baby, other than sleeping with them, then this may help you.

You can get details of the settling techniques on
<a href="http://www.huggies.com/au/pregnancy_parenting/yourbabysleep/">Your Baby’s Sleep</a> page or from it's Time To Sleep DVD&BOOK Huggies have a great discount offer on at the moment - see <a href="http://www.huggies.com/au/about_huggies/special_offers/bookoffer/">Member Exclusive Book Offers</a>.

I have taken an excerpt from my book on 'sparrowing' and this may help you to understand the difference between this and feeding.

: Under no circumstances are we saying don’t feed your baby as much or as often as they need. Knowing whether a baby is feeding or not can be difficult since babies often feed with their eyes closed. One way of telling if they are feeding or just comfort sucking (Rhonda calls this sparrowing) is this way. When your baby is feeding they will have a strong gulping suck, when they begin to ‘sparrow’ it will be like more of a nibble, take them off the breast then, they will probably begin to cry.

Give them the benefit of the doubt and put them back on again, if they begin to ‘sparrow’ again take them off and have some playtime. Playtime in a newborn could be as much as a nappy change. Put them back on the breast again, but if this time they begin to ‘sparrow’ you know that the feed is done and this is a tired cue - begin the settling. Try to keep fairly still and relaxed while you are feeding, you will notice if a baby is ‘sparrowing’ and you move around they will latch on strongly again and ‘sparrow’ off soon after giving you a false sign that they are still feeding.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic