Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

My 9 week old insomniac! Lock Rss

Hi. My baby boy is now 9 weeks old and he has been very difficult to settle to sleep since about 4 weeks, however it seems to now be getting worse. We had a couple of good nights two weeks ago when he would feed and sleep without us having to settle him from 7pm to about 11pm and then wake twice more through the night for feeds and fall asleep again. Oh how wonderful that was. Suddenly his behaviour changed again and he now has to be patted to sleep even at 7pm and this sometimes takes half an hour for him to fall asleep. We swaddle and pat and leave the room and re enter everytime he cries (wait 5 mins or so). We have been following this technique for over 3 weeks now and we only pick him up if he is really distressed. I was told that it would only take a few days to a week for him to learn to fall asleep on his own without us having to pat him all the time but it seems that every day we are back to square one. He now wakes around 10pm and does not sleep again no matter what we try. Even putting him in our bed doesnt work. He just wriggles, and makes noises and sometimes he will let out a little cry. Through the day he is really cranky from the night before and won't sleep again so he is extremely overtired and cries a lot unless held. We have tried Gripe Water which helps sometimes to get rid of some wind. Currently trying Infacol. I have been to the Riverton centre for help and all they did was show me the settling techniques i already know. I would not use control crying at this age but i do let him cry for 5 mins at a time. This is very stressful for me and my husband as I dont know the cause behind it. Could it be sugar or caffeine in my diet? Please help
Hi,
The techniques we teach for newborn to 6 months is all hands on and no leaving baby, but you need to pat for up to15 mins., staying with baby and patting when he cries and stop patting as soon as he stops crying.

It can take up to 3 weeks for a program to work and some babies do fight the settling program making it much harder for you to stick with it.
Try to follow a feed /play sleep routine, this way you can watch for tired signs and feed when he is hungry rather than feeding for comfort.
An overtired baby is harder to settle so it is important that you act on his tired signs and settle him when he displays them.

The one thing to remember about wind and colic is that if baby will settle in your arms but cries when put in the cot then it’s not a cry of pain. Wrapping will definitely help with wind and I would continue to wrap your son.
If you try too many things then baby only becomes confused and sticking precisely to a settling routine would be far more beneficial in the long run.
As for your diet, the better your diet the better it will be for both of you.

You can get details for our settling program from <a href="http://www.huggies.com/au/pregnancy_parenting/yourbabysleep/">Your Baby’s Sleep</a> page or from It’s Time To Sleep DVD&BOOK. Huggies have a great price for Baby Club members at the moment- <a href="http://www.huggies.com/au/about_huggies/special_offers/bookoffer/">Member Exclusive Book Offers</a>.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic