Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Second Hand Cot Lock Rss

I don't know of this is the right pace for this but.......................

Do you know if there is somewhere you can get older baby furniture checked out for safety??????

My in-laws have an old metal hospital cot at their place that I think I have used for DD 2 times for day sleeps and once for an all night sleep over. I get worried as I don't know the total history and I may need to use it more after bub 3 arrives in a few months. I dont want to offend MIL but I think babies safety is more important.

Any help would be appriciated.

Hayley, NSW, Liam 07/02, Beth 09/04, Nate 03/06

Hi,
Here’s the information available from the Huggies website.

Baby’s Cot
All new cots have to comply with the Australian Safety Standard (AS/NZS 2172). Check with your retailer that the cot you choose does comply with this and that the mattress they are supplying is well fitted to the cot. There should be no more than the equivalent of a woman’s two fingers between the mattress and the side and end of the cot. If you are borrowing or purchasing a second hand cot here is a list of some safety aspects that you should be aware of.
The following information is provided as a guide when purchasing:
• There should be a minimum of 600mm from the base of the mattress to the top of the cot.
• The space between the bars should be 50mm-85mm.
• The space between the cot sides and the mattress should not be more than 25mm.
• Be aware of holes/spaces where your baby’s arms, legs, head and fingers could become trapped.
• Try to choose a cot that has no more than two legs with castors.
• Look for fixed-base cots with the lowest possible base. If it has a adjustable base, change it to the lowest base setting as soon as your baby can sit up.

If you are not comfortable using the cot then get another one and say a friend no longer needed it – that keeps everyone happy!
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic