Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Used to sleep but won't now during day Lock Rss

Georgia will be 6 weeks old on 22/12. After a feed I would burp her and then put her down to sleep. She would sleep until the next feed but in the past 10 days or so it has gone haywire. Now when I put her in her cot she will start to scream until I pick her up. She then will be in a state of half asleep and half awake, when I put her down the yelling begins again. Admittedly she falls asleep during feed and that's when I would put her down. She used to be fine with that but now what has changed to make her wake so often? Also during feeds it is so hard to keep her awake but she is still sucking strongly. Do the eyes need to be open to be considered awake?

Mum to Aidan 20 Jan 04 and Georgia 10 Nov 05

Hi,
If you were to follow a feed /play sleep routine, you would feed baby when she wakes then play and watch for tired signs and then when these signs are displayed you can settle baby awake into the cot. This teaches baby to sleep independently and avoids a tired baby falling asleep during the feed.

Knowing whether a baby is feeding or not can be difficult since babies often feed with their eyes closed. One way of telling if they are feeding or just comfort sucking (Rhonda calls this sparrowing) is this way. When your baby is feeding they will have a strong gulping suck, when they begin to ‘sparrow’ it will be like more of a nibble, take them off the breast then, they will probably begin to cry.

Give them the benefit of the doubt and put them back on again, if they begin to ‘sparrow’ again take them off and have some playtime. Playtime in a newborn could be as much as a nappy change. Put them back on the breast again, but if this time they begin to ‘sparrow’ you know that the feed is done and this is a tired cue - begin the settling. Try to keep fairly still and relaxed while you are feeding, you will notice if a baby is ‘sparrowing’ and you move around they will latch on strongly again and ‘sparrow’ off soon after giving you a false sign that they are still feeding.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic