Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

what am I doing wrong? Lock Rss

Hi
I have a 3 month old son who has no routine what so ever. Sometimes he'll go for 6 hours without a feed, and then have only 50 mls. rarely would he have more than 100mls. mind you this is during the day. At night he wakes twice and still has small feeds. During the day, I would feed him every 3 - 4 hours, but still he'll only have 50 mls or less. If I am not talking and playing with him, he will cry, and I mean scream, but as soon as I pick him up he'll be fine. I would offer him more milk, re would refuse. I have thrown so much formula, that I am really desperate for some advice...I also have a two and ahalf year old daughter, and have never had any problems with her feeding...Any advice you can give me, is much appreciated...

mum of two

Hi,
Firstly I would speak to your health nurse about the feeding and weight gain, your son may need to change the type of formula he is on and your health nurse will advise you about when to introduce some solids.

Secondly to have a routine you must create one, and the best way to do that is by using a feed/play/sleep routine.

Following a feed /play /sleep routine is about feeding baby when they wake (or close to his feed time), playing and then watching for tired signs so that when baby shows tired signs you can settle him to sleep straight away into his cot, rather than feeding a hungry and tired baby who will most likely fall asleep during the feed. This way you also learn what are hunger cries and what are tired cries.

It sounds like your son is very dependant on your comfort and if you were to use some settling techniques when tired signs are shown this would also help.

When settling baby we stay with baby always and pat bub when he cries and stop patting when he stops crying and take hands off slightly, this ensures baby falls asleep independently and not patted off to sleep These are good habits and a good routine to try to establish.

You can get details of our program on <a href="http://www.huggies.com/au/pregnancy_parenting/yourbabysleep/">Your Baby’s Sleep</a> page or from <a href="It's time to sleep</a"http://www.itstimetosleep.com/">It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.

Best of luck
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic